Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: East Coast LF Group

East Coast LF Group

I am in agreement with David in terms of opening it up to other formats. If anyone who shoots MF (or even SF) wants to try LF, I'm sure that some of us could donate a sheet or two.

Sure 8x10 pinhole is LF. As a matter of fact, I've never worked with one and would really like to see one and how you have it setup. I've thought of trying it, but could never justify the cost of a good precision pinhole against film and other stuff.

James, I don't know what to say. I've only been shooting LF for a few months and my idea originally with this was to be able to share ideas and technique with other LF shooters, being that there was no already established group to do this. I'm becoming quite knowledgable but I'd still like to talk with others, and so far I don't forsee having anything that I'd really like to exhibit. Exhibition doesn't seem to be of any importance to me. Plus, I have such a backlog of stuff that's NEVER been printed, at the moment I can't dream of doing exhibition prints.

That having been said, I'd definately support a group show and contribute as much monetarily to the rental as I can, even if I didn't choose to exhibit anything.

East Coast LF Group

I'm in Orange County NY (40 miles NW of NYC) and would be intested in outings and gallery shows in NYC. I primarily focus on nature / landscapes. I have planned several days of vacation from the day job in October to hopefully get some nice fall colors images. If anyone else is interested in weekday field trips in October that could be a field trip for this a group (or contact me directly if the group is not intested but individuals are; mail@GregMillerPhotography.com).

East Coast LF Group

Ah, yes. One more thing for me. It would be very hard for me to do a weekday trip (excluding holidays) for now, as I can't really get out of school. Any possibility would have to be after next February. Or else if it was a studio day, maybe I could manage it.

East Coast LF Group

Greg - I'm interested in field trip - with preference for weekends. I was actually thinking of driving up to Northern MA / Vermont this weekend, but the weather forecast does help much. Let me (and the group) know what your plans are!

Mark

East Coast LF Group

Another vote for architecture. Maybe some old industrial site like Louie mentioned. Big enough so we don't all get the same shot (or more likely each other in our shots...)

I'm in Brooklyn and don't own a car, so somewhere close to a subway/train would be great.

East Coast LF Group

Lots of interesting sites in Brooklyn. I've always wanted to do some photographing along the Gowanus Canal (particularly since they've done something about the smell!).

East Coast LF Group

Hi David,

I've spent a bit of time on the Gowanus lately. My neighbor works for an enviro non profit doing some work down their (long way to go!). I'm game for checking it out. An outing down there would be great. I volunteer to get permits from the Mayor's office just in case.

Oh yeah, the smell is better... but the Army Core of Engineers just did a bunch of coring in the canal... and discovered that there is a pool of liquid creosote 30' thick underneath years of sediment in one area. Be awhile before THAT body of water is clean...

East Coast LF Group

Well it looks like somewhere in NY is thr target. Would someone like to propose some times and locations?

East Coast LF Group

Let's follow Jon's and David G's lead and hit Gowanus. See http://www.southbrooklyn.net/gowanus/ Is there a Starbucks nearby where we can meet? Should we get permits? If Jon can get that done easily it would probably be best. Time then depends on the processing time for the permits...

Mark

East Coast LF Group

Sounds good to me, I'm doing pinhole work on a 6x9 graflex and would love to see some larger work.

I like the idea of sharing work more than field trips, tips and tricks can be discussed at meetings and it would certainly be more comfortable for discussions inside as the weather outside begins to cool off.

I'm up in Westchester county, getting together in NYC is fine for me.

I'm wondering if local libraries might have space available?

Although the Gowanus sounds very tempting, my schedule prefers it be closer to Penn or Grand Central. Can you get to the Gowanus by train?