Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: East Coast LF Group

East Coast LF Group

Excellent idea.

I'm in NYC - Upper West Side. There's a LF group meeting regularly in Massachusetts, but that's a 4 hour drive and a litte far for me. To my amazement, there does not seem to be a LF group (or medium format for that matter) in NYC. I'd be happy to join. Can I suggest Central Park? There are plenty photo ops and also places to sit down and meet. I would also suggest not to limit attendance to LF'ers, but to anyone interested.

Mark

East Coast LF Group

I would be interested in just about any LF outing, be it architectural or landscape. I'm living in Queens right now, with no car so I don't get out of the studio much. I also tend to work far too many hours, so weekends are best for me and maybe others. Maybe something relatively close (for all if possible) to start. Keep me informed and if transport and time work out, I'd love to participate, no matter the weather or subject.

Tim

East Coast LF Group

And just to keep the options open, "outings" don't necessarily have to be outdoors (as much as I like the outdoors). Other options might be renting studio space for portrait shoots and such.

East Coast LF Group

I'm up for anything. New York is fine for me, though I prefer other areas. The problem I have with architecture and portraiture is that right now I only have one 21 1/4" barrel lens, so it doesn't work too well.

As to the studio work, sounds fine to me, what does everybody else think?

Does a first meeting in NYC sound good to everyone? Or can we find a way of getting the guys without cars to another meeting location?

And as to the allowing other formats in, do we have a concensus? I was thinking of keeping it exclusively LF. But if that isn't the opinion of everyone, we might as consider it. I just thought that with the logistics of LF, it would be easier to plan for if everyone was shooting a somewhat equally less portable camera.

If we were to open it to all photographers in all formats, would we have certain requirements or at least a decided "mission"? It might get confusing with too many different ways of thought.

In other news, I'll try to look into my older thread on photo.net, update it with this URL, and also e-mail those people who responded to that thread but not this one.

Looking forward to hearing more opinions.

-J Antman

East Coast LF Group

I'd say it's probably best to keep it focused on LF to keep it from becoming just another photo club, but non-LF users who want to learn about LF should be welcome.

East Coast LF Group

Is a 8x10 pinhole considered a LF camera?

East Coast LF Group

Sounds good to me.

East Coast LF Group

I can understand why some people may like the idea of "outings" or "inings" but how about instead of having meetings and outings, a group is formed around the idea of getting our work into Venues around the East Coast.

I think most people all ready have a sense of what they like to shoot, and most people I know don't like to have 15 others around while they are trying to do their thing.

Forming a group, that has a focus on getting LF work into galleries and spaces in the intrest of promoting interest in the medium (no pun intended), sounds more appealing to me than getting together in a studio to shoot 15 portraits with the same lighting setup on 6 diffrent sheet film formats.

With enough members, you would be better off renting a gallery space for a month, than a studio in NYC for a day.

I would rather see effort put into showing work that already exsists, than effort put into an outing, that may be entertaining- but most will probably not get much out if it other than a few laughs and some very similar negs.

East Coast LF Group

Great idea. I can see a place for both. A group show needs some kind of community building to work, I think, and other events might facilitate that.

East Coast LF Group

Excellent plan James. Such cooperative gallery clearly seems to work well in the Soho Photo Gallery (www.sohophoto.com).

Mark