Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: East Coast LF Group

East Coast LF Group

I've cross-posted this on lfphoto.info and photo.net just to make sure that everyone sees it. However, I would like to have the discussion take place on the www.largeformatphotography.info board if at all possible.

A few months ago, myself and a few other people attempted to form a group of East Coast LF photographers in the NY area (or traveling there). It fizzeld out, but now that school is back in session, and I have more organization in my life, I'd like to get at least the discussion going again.

I'll try to be a little organized. I'd appreciate it if you responded to this short poll.

1. Are you interested in a LF group on the East Coast/Mid Atlantic area? (If no, stop here.)

2. Where can you meet? Is New York/New Jersey good, or need it be farther in one direction?

3. For a first meeting, which would be better - a trip into the field, or an organized indoor meeting somewhere just to meet and work stuff out?

4. Any suggestions for field trips? Keep in mind it's getting cold and not all of us like carrying heavy loads in the extreme weather.

5. Anything I left out? There's always room for ideas.

-Jason Antman

East Coast LF Group

I might as well answer this myself.

I'm in New Jersey and don't have my license yet (next february) but can get anywhere from south jersey to new york (state or city). Possibly farther North or West.

Anything is good for me. I'd prefer a trip into the field, but something just to get organized would be fine too. My camera's quite heavy so if it were to be a long hike, I'd end up shooting MF (or using it as an excuse to get a field camera).

For trips (LF at least) state parks are cool, because they usually have roads. Yeah, Adams would be quite upset with me for that sentence and what it implies. But oh well. What's done there is done.

I don't want to keep this closed to any non-landscape people. We surely could accomodate anyone who shoots LF.

East Coast LF Group

1. Yes.
    2. New York City is good for me.
    3. I'm open for either, but I think the field trip would be more interesting.
    4. I'm open.
    5. Not that I can think of... yet.

East Coast LF Group

Scheduling is often a problem for me, but I'd be interested to hear of any events planned, and I'll try to make those that I can.

East Coast LF Group

1. Yes 2. Time is a factor. I can afford a few hours on a fairly regular basis, but to venture further afield requires a major time committment that is difficult to schedule. I am located in the Saratoga Springs area. 3. I go to more meetings that I care to think about. Much prefer an opportunity to make pictures. 4. Cold? Heavy equipment? Didn't think wimps did LF. Seriously, I have a bad back, so I would prefer something with less walking. Actually, architecture would be interesting. An old industrial site? 5. I'll think on it.

Louie

East Coast LF Group

Ok. So far it sounds like a trip into the field. We have one vote for architecture, which is fine for me, as long as I shoot 645. My 8x10 isn't exactly setup for architecture. Then again, hopefully I'll soon have the money to get the lens I want. But anything's good with me.

Louie, if you can think up some sites that would be friendly to a large group of people with very big cameras, do suggest it.

East Coast LF Group

Jason, I think you otter get one of those tricycle baby strollers the women (and some dads) out here use for jogging. Take out the fabric pieces and figure a way out to mount your 8x10 and associated equipment on it. Wheels are big enough to go over any trail. You get the pleasure of making LF photographs and won't have to be embarrassed to be seen with a MF minicam.

I'ld join you but san jose is aways away. All my LF cameras fits into a backpack but not at the same time.

tim in san jose

East Coast LF Group

Although I'm in California, making the commute a bit of a problem, there are several people on The Black & White Forum (where I'm the webmaster) who shoot LF on occasion. I'd suggest that you post on that forum, too, with a link to your survey here, Jason. You might pick up a few interested parties.

East Coast LF Group

I live in Vermont

Bill

East Coast LF Group

I'd be happy to be kept informed: the odds of my schedule being free are limited (full time school/full time work) but with 100 sheets of 8x10 to use up, I'd certainly want to be involved.

Oh, and the only architectural photos I've taken that are any good are on 8x10. It's not impossible.