Thread: Setting up my 1st home darkroom - advice needed

Setting up my 1st home darkroom - advice needed

Hello, i've decided i've missed using the uni darkrooms long enough now and things need to change, so i'm looking at setting up my own BW darkroom at home, but on a budget. i have 2 1950s enlargers already but can only do 6x7 at most, what i'm wanting to set up is a 5x4 enlarger, as well as one of these other 2. At uni i mainly used a 504 colour enlarger, which was lovely but far too expensive for me to gain for myself.

here are a list of my needs

- can take 35mm, 6x6, 6x7, 5x4
    - print up to 12x16
    - would be ncie if the head can be rotated/hinged out to print larger on a wall
    - CHEAP!!!

- easily available in the UK.

i already have been donated a large variety of sizes of trays, focus finder and safelight, its just a good affordable enlarger now needed.

Thanks for any help given,

Tom

i have a set of hand held multigrade filters but a colour head or filter tray would be better as i would then have 2 hands free for any dodging/burning needed

Re: Setting up my 1st home darkroom - advice needed

Tom you should be able to pick up a DeVere 504 (colour head) for cheap on ebay. I got one a while back with all the available masks from 35mm to 5x4 with 3 lenses, Devere timer and transtab and mixing boxes for just over 200 bangers if I remember. The 504 wont print horizontally though. Great bits of engineering as you'll know.

A good friend fished his Omega D-2 out of a university dumpster.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Tom,

You might look for an early Beseler 45M series. They can be tilted 45 degrees to project onto a wall, as well as, being used as a vertical enlarger. I can't say how easy or inexpensive they would be in the UK. You might be able to find them in your local classified listings or craigslist. Once in a while they show up on ebay, but if they are not local, shipping can be too expensive. Parts are plentiful and easy to locate. You can find them with condenser heads, dichronic color head, and cold light head.

Good luck,

Jose

De Vere is a good option, particularly in the UK as parts are very readily available; no need to spend hours hunting around on the auction site. Nova Darkroom often has second hand enlargers at competitive prices. http://www.novadarkroom.com - try phoning and ask for Ian Windebank

For supplies I'd recommend Ag Photographic (Birmingham) www.ag-photographic.co.uk or Silverprint www.silverprint.co.uk (in London).

Tom