Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not camera store camera stuff

Not camera store camera stuff

We haven't had a thread along these lines for awhile.

What stuff do you find usefull for LF photography that come from the grocers, big box or hardware store ridiculously cheap?
    For me:
    GI army surplus water cooler bags for carrying the 8x10 & gear.
    Hefty zip lock bags for protecting film holders from dust.
    Shower curtains for diffusing suniight, a ground cloth or protection from rain.
    Well laundered cotton cloth diapers, for lint free cleaning
    Lemon Pledge, for protecting wooden cameras
    Big thick purple rubber bands off supermarket broccolli, as spares formy Lee filter holder onner
    Hip flask, for snake bite remedy
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Not camera store camera stuff

Thin nylon cord for tying back wayward tree branches
    Plastic trash bag to keep rain off the camera

I need to look into the snake bite remedy....

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

I carry my Deardorff and filmholders in a rolling soft-sided beverage cooler which costs about $45 - kinda like this one but not this one. It is also collapsible.

Thin rubber bottle/jar opener such as the ones listed on these pages.

http://www.amazon.com/Fox-Run-5647-J...8768807&sr=8-1

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...tm250911323787

Cut a 3/8” hole in the center and place it between your view camera base and tripod head. It will allow you to tighten on a larger more grippy (my word) surface. It makes a tighter bond between camera and tripod head and may stop those marks where you miss the receiver hole on the camera and ding the surface.

I leave my 7x17 and 8x10 mounted on tripods with this between and carry a spare in my kit bag for when one of them wears out or to give to a friend experiencing those problems.

John

Do or do not. There is no try.

Small Neodymium magnets. I sometimes use pairs of them for added mass at each corner of my lightweight darkcloth. There's no danger of them falling off.

Perhaps this is a silly precaution, but I am careful to never let them get too near shutters. I don't know if there's anything inside that could get magnetized and cause operational flakiness, but don't really wish to do the experiment on my equipment. It's easy enough to keep the corners of the darkcloth a few inches away from the shutter.

I'd be happy to oblige if someone would like to send me a shutter for attempted magnetization

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    Small Neodymium magnets. I sometimes use pairs of them for added mass at each corner of my lightweight darkcloth. There's no danger of them falling off.

Perhaps this is a silly precaution, but I am careful to never let them get too near shutters. I don't know if there's anything inside that could get magnetized and cause operational flakiness, but don't really wish to do the experiment on my equipment. It's easy enough to keep the corners of the darkcloth a few inches away from the shutter.

I'd be happy to oblige if someone would like to send me a shutter for attempted magnetization
    If your shutter has steel blades, and most do, magnetising the blades will slow it down quite a bit. Can cause as much as a stop error, maybe more depending on the shutter and number of blades.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Swiffer sweeper dry cloths ... excellent for de-dusting gear. Works well to clean light traps on film holders too.

Turtle Wax Leather Cleaner & Conditioner: works great for bellows. Not sticky - after all, you wouldn't want a sticky mess on your car seat, would you?

Insulated (and thus padded) lunch bags to hold holders and lenses. The ones given away at health fairs to hold two baby bottles are perfect for 4x5 holders.

An insulated nylon zippered lunch bag from a supermarket that's perfectly sized for Quickload boxes, another one from Walmart that fits 4 Grafmatics.

Pedro's Ice Wax, a bicycle chain lubricant-best lubricant I have ever found for camera rails, knurled rings on tripods legs etc. Shake the crap out of it before using. It dries up leaving a thin layer of wax behind that does not collect dust and sand. Important in the SW. Been using it for maybe 20 years. One small bottle lasts a lifetime.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"