Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trona Pinnacles Gathering 11/10-11/13 2011

Re: Trona Pinnacles Gathering 11/10-11/13 2011

Dakotah,

Were you able to get any good shots on that Death Valley trip that you had to dig your way out of? I know exactly what you mean. I used to live in Flagstaff and sometimes when the weather got bad it seemed like I had all of northern Arizona to myself.

Where are you located?

-DP

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    dperez, I'll go with what you said. Have spent a lot of time in some of those areas and never seen a soul because 'bad weather' was forcast. Did take two days to dig out at The Racetrack one winter after a good storm washed out the road. Had to pile rocks for a day and a half to make a bridge to drive across before I could get out. Another time I came out from there in the snow and had one set of tire tracks leading to my vehicle at the road blockade managed by a Park Ranger who insisted I could not have come from there. My tire tracks, our footprints in the snow... where else could I have come from?

Some great foul weather photos in odd locations make for good trips and uncrowded locations.

Enjoy Yosemite. We are hoping for some snow here. A skiff of half inch yesterday and with winter on the way the next few snows should stick. Hope so as it will be getting cold soon. Last night was 16 degrees and we are waiting for Winter to come. Good windy snow conditions make for some nice photos tho they do have me shooting with the smaller cameras as setting up an 8x10 in 30mph+ winds and blowing snow doesn't work too well. With a windbreak or some protection it is doable but at 20 below zero taking a half hour to set up a windbreak doesn't work too well for me these days. So, gear to match the winter extremes.

Well, here's a photo from the webcam titled Sentinel in Yosemite from Nov. 4. This should get your juices flowing ... pretty nice! Looks like it may not be quite cold enough for snow, though, for this weekend ... but should be some good clouds.

You can't print that screen shot without a permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    You can't print that screen shot without a permit.
    You talkin' to me?