Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: any cheap tripod head for Sinar F2?

any cheap tripod head for Sinar F2?

I got an Sinar F2 today and I'm going to use 90mm and 150mm lens on it. But when I was about to mount it on the tripod, I found my tripod plate is too small for the F2. I have to buy another tripod head for it.

I'm a student so price is very important to me, I've been searching a bit via internet but still have no idea, is there any very economical choice? Ball or 3-way head are both ok and I don't mind buying second hand or older type, if the head can hold the F2 it'll be good enough.

Much appreciated.

Re: any cheap tripod head for Sinar F2?

You can, of course, simply forget the head and screw the camera onto the tripod. Not only is it lighter, but it's a lot more solid. You can rotate the camera rail for yaw, adjust the leg height for tilt, and rotate the tripod for pan. The only thing it isn't good for is extreme downward shots.

When you can, save up for the wonderful Sinar Pan-Tilt Head to use with your Sinar.

"adjust the leg height for tilt"
    And bump a leg accidently in this configuration and watch the whole thing fall over!

Thanks Frank, the tips is really inspiring me. I didn't realize I actually don't need a 3-way head because I can adjust the yaw with the rail and a pan-tilt head is good enough.

But I just tried it, the tripod mount is not big enough for the F2 base, That base is just so large and it's not a flat surface, the space between the screw hole and the outside rim is empty...

Bob, I think Frank means adjusting the leg of the F2 instead of the tripod leg.

Listen to Frank. Get a Sinar head as soon as you can afford one. They are not cheap but once you use one you will understand. I have seen them go for as little as $250 (if you can call that little).

In the meantime what kind of tripod head do you have now? Do you mean by "my tripod plate is too small” that the tripod head will not physically fit the Sinar on it or the threaded screw is too small? Depending on the head you have you may be able to get a different screw to fit the Sinar rather than replacing the entire head.

If you can’t replace the screw and assuming the head / legs combination will support the Sinar than you can get a reducing bushing (like this one) that will allow you to use the smaller screw on the tripod head with the larger socket on the F2 rail clamp.

The only other thing I would add is if you do get another tripod head my experience is that ball heads are a real pain with large format.

Hope this helps,

-Joshua

It sounds like you have a seriously undersized tripod....

You need something starting with a Manfrotto 190, Tiltall, Gitzo #3-series... a little $39 plastic job won't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by danielmk2 View Post
    Thanks Frank, the tips is really inspiring me. I didn't realize I actually don't need a 3-way head because I can adjust the yaw with the rail and a pan-tilt head is good enough.

But I just tried it, the tripod mount is not big enough for the F2 base, That base is just so large and it's not a flat surface, the space between the screw hole and the outside rim is empty...

Bob, I think Frank means adjusting the leg of the F2 instead of the tripod leg.
    I am pretty sure he meant the tripod leg. The F2 does not have legs. It has uprights and they don't tilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    It sounds like you have a seriously undersized tripod....

You need something starting with a Manfrotto 190, Tiltall, Gitzo #3-series... a little $39 plastic job won't cut it.
    +1 on the Tiltall. Get a good used Leitz or better yet Marchioni for under $100. If you don't like it you can get your money back. I've been using one since the mid 1980s, yes the same one and it was old when I got it.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Drew Wiley

You can do everything with just the ordinary Sinar rail clamp except shoot straight
    down. No need for a separate head. But if you do decide on one, the Sinar version
    already mentioned would be the best choice.

Thanks everyone for the information. I'm currently using a Benro 3-way head which is quite solid with a Linhof Technika. The problem is the size of the plate. The base of the F2 has a diameter of 74 mm and the smaller plate won't hold the camera because the area between diameter 20mm and 66mm in the base is totally empty, so this area won't have any contact with the plate... And the Manfrotto 190 that I use is also out of luck, the tripod mount is also smaller than the camera base unfortunately......

I just saw a 3-way head from Gitzo G1570 which does have a very large plate and seems to have a price of lower than $200 and perhaps much lower for used or older version? I hope I can get a usable head as cheap as possible, budget is quite a limit.