Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Burke & James Grover 8X10

Re: Burke & James Grover 8X10

The 5x7 grover has wooden frames but metal standards. At least mine does. It has a hex shaped rail and cast supports. The 5x7 field camera has both wood standards and frames. Forget the name they hung on it.

Anyhow I keep hoping someone will buy them before I refinish them. The V-8 Deardorff covers just about all the LF formats I need so the B&Js are expendable. They are tanks though.

tim in san jose

I'm not sure which model I have but it does have a tag on top the front standard as View Camera. With a wooden front standard and metal back standard support it must be Half way between a Grover and Field camera.

Michael Clark -- I've occasionally used one like yours, usually with a 4x5 back, since 1975. It is a bit shakey when compared to the monorail, especially with the extension rail. These cameras were designed to get the job done, not to be elegant. They succeeded well. They are still one of the bargains in LF photography.

Jim, every thing you have said about them is true, in fact I have nick named it Shaky Jake, but have not had many blurry negs, just light leaks form the film holders.

Mike

Wow..... I was all excited when the box arrived at my door. Then I picked it up and heard a jingle sound. I knew that second that the ground glass had shattered. That is the problem with these ebay people that are not familiar with photo equipment. I even explained in detail how to wrap it. Oh well, it happens. I love the camera though. Very nice shape overall. And that solid bar monorail is heavy duty. I will just pick up a ground glass. Pics on the way.

Now that I have been playing with my Grover for a while(actually non stop for three hours) I've come to realize that it is a really great camera. And boy oh boy does it look handsome sitting on top of my J.G. Saltzman indestructible tripod.

John, show us some picks of the camera. I broke the ground glass on my 5x7 when cleaning it,ordered another one either Huft glass or another outfit can't remember..

Mike

I'll get the pics up tonight.I think mine is an early model. The rail is smooth and has no gear track. It is a good design. Focusing is nice and tight. Its like the early Calumet design. My camera must have been used in a studio that was not very busy. Since it is so clean. And I still can't get over the rail. I mean, the rail can be used for home defense when not being used on the camera

Here she is. The only thing I haven't cleaned is the bellows.

I wonder whether the rail with the track is newer or older than the smooth ones? Ah, well... your rail is considerably longer than mine; mine is 20". It is a rather useful camera, though! good luck with yours; I hope you have as much fun with it as I have with mine!

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.