Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Berlebach for 8x10?

Which Berlebach for 8x10?

Good day,

Can anyone please provide their opinion on Berlebach tripods, for example, the Report 4012, for use with an 8x10 camera? I am looking for a Berlebach with about the same capability as a Ries J100-2 and I want to use it with a Ries J250 double tilt head.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by muskedear; 17-Oct-2011 at 14:38. Reason: Ipad can't spell

Re: Which Berlebach for 8x10?

Then you should be looking at a Berlebach UNI tripod.

What Bob said.

What camera are you using? I do have to admit that I use my 8x10" Eastman 2-D on a Berlebach Report. But I also used a Gandolfi 8x10" and there was no way the Report could have handled it. I wouldn't put any monorail on it, either. The Uni tripods are much sturdier.

I have used Berlebachs for 20 years now, the Uni being my first. They are beautiful, reliable, and simple enough to fix them yourself.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Then you should be looking at a Berlebach UNI tripod.
    Which one? It seems that the UNI series tripods are either too short or too heavy for 8x10. My Ries J100-2 weighs ca. 11 lbs, extends to 62" and is fully adequate for 8x10.

Berlebach's Report 3032 (without centre column, with levelling ball head) is rated at 12klgs load and is sometimes recommended for up to 8x10. The 4012 you're looking at is rated for 10kgs (maybe just because it's taller at 62" vs 56"). My 3032 is certainly a great tripod for 5x7, I use one with a heavy Rittreck metal. A lighter weight 8x10 might be OK with it, say a Canham or KMV with backpacking (not studio) lenses.

Point to watch about the Report series, the top plate is only 60mm dia, and most heavy-duty heads want 75 or 90 (like the Ries J250 double head). The Uni has the 90mm dia top plate.

Otherwise, to be safe, go with Bob's recommendation for a Uni. Skip through Berlebach's website product listing, much longer than Ries, to find the one you want. You can get taller Uni tripods, but they get up to 7kgs and are very expensive. But a 56" height heavy tripod is plenty for most people.

I agree however with the comment above about the Ries J100/2, a brilliant tripod, positioned in between the Berlebach Report and Uni range for weight and load factor, definately able to handle an 8x10 field camera.

All,

Thanks for your comments. I am better off with another Ries J100-2. The plan is to deposit one tripod in Germany for regular trips in the foreseeable future. One option would have been to purchase a Berlebach there but none of their models suits my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by muskedear View Post
    All,

Thanks for your comments. I am better off with another Ries J100-2. The plan is to deposit one tripod in Germany for regular trips in the foreseeable future. One option would have been to purchase a Berlebach there but none of their models suits my needs.
    None? There are dozens of models, none?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    None? There are dozens of models, none?
    That's right. None.

Quote Originally Posted by muskedear View Post
    That's right. None.
    You mean that you looked at all 130+ photographic tripods on the Berlebach web site could not find one that met your needs? Did you also look at their Astro and Industrial models as well?

Maybe at heart he just wants another Ries. They're nice.