Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Okefenokee Swamp in GA

Smile Okefenokee Swamp in GA

I was wondering if anyone in the GA/FL area has done any photography around this park. With it's huge size I am sure there are some interesting, less-traveled areas.

My girlfriend is from Waycross and I am currently based in Valdosta, so trips here can be frequent and long if I want, so I just thought I'd ask about it. I am finding little to no info from the park website(s) about photography-related items.

My main concern is access, I am not too keen on boat travel with 4x5 gear, or any gear really. I trashed a nice Nikon F5 that way some time ago...

Thanks for the suggestions!

Photographer

Re: Okefenokee Swamp in GA

I've been on a number of canoe trips there. I think hand cameras, maybe with a light tripod for the times you can get on dry land would be the way to go. I've only been to the Okee in the Spring; I imagine that Summer would be hot, oppressively humid, and really buggy. It's a facinating place.
    Keith Pitman

I just realized I won't be doing anything for the foreseeable future since there is a massive wildfire right now...

Yes, "oppressive" is a good term for the heat in the summer. I've lived down here for 7 years and it really sucks!

I guess 4x5 isn't a great plan, oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I was wondering if anyone in the GA/FL area has done any photography around this park. With it's huge size I am sure there are some interesting, less-traveled areas.

My girlfriend is from Waycross and I am currently based in Valdosta, so trips here can be frequent and long if I want, so I just thought I'd ask about it. I am finding little to no info from the park website(s) about photography-related items.

My main concern is access, I am not too keen on boat travel with 4x5 gear, or any gear really. I trashed a nice Nikon F5 that way some time ago...

Thanks for the suggestions!
    I've been there many times. Penetration into the swamp is usually done via john boat.

Photographing from a john boat is a very specialized technique especially out on the prairies when using aview camera. I recommend a motorized boat over canoeing considering the expanse and distances encounter unless you want a very slow paced excursion.

Visti the official Okefenokee website for details about the entrances to the park which has been photographed extensively over the years. It's an environment that requires you to become involved and knowledgeble to photograph effectivel abd to come away with more than snap shots. Be prepared to spend several years there to really make some meaning full work.

Since you are novice with the view camera I recommend going to locations in the park like Billies Island, the Cheeser Island Homestead and the Suwannee River Sill, to mention just a few. There are countless locations to photograph around the entire perimeter of the swamp. Folkston isn't a bad place to start.

In fact you are very lucky to live in the low country. There are thousands of places that are photogenic but you have to get out off the beaten path and seek them out. The Okefenokee area is just one of those destinations all within a short drive of Waycross and Valdosta.

I would recommend though that you DO NOT bush whack through the palmettos and pine forests ther since they are littered with rattlesnakes and I'm not BS'ing. Look out for ticks and you and your girlfriend should learn how to be tick buddies.

http://www.fws.gov/okefenokee/Great%...o%20Spots.html

http://www.fws.gov/okefenokee/Nature%20Photography.html

http://www.google.com/search?q=okefe...w&ved=0CGYQsAQ

Really it's all about learning the rithym of the swamp which is an organism itself.

Have fun and be smart when you are out there in the wild. It's easy to loose your life there. The single most dangerous thing when you are out in the swamp, especially in an aluminum john boat is lighting.

Don Bryant

Don has some great advice on the swamp! It is beautiful down there with many great subjects. It might be worthwhile to check out some of Clyde Butchers work ina similiar environment
    david

Clyde or his assistants do some workshops IIRC, perhaps that would help with some of the logistics.

Check out Roman Loranc's work on the Cosumnes river in California's central valley for inspiration on canoe based LF work:

http://www.kqed.org/arts/programs/sp...jsp?essid=7081

It might be very suitable for your location though summer in the south probably isn't the best time to try it.
    -Chris from Oklahoma where 102 deg is the new 98

Thanks a lot guys, great info. I will be researching for when the fires are out and the park is reopened.

There's a Photograph America booklet on the Okefenokee Swamp (or used to be, I haven't looked lately). If it's still available you can download it from their web site for about $10. I've found the author's information to be very useful as a starting point when photographing in a new area.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Get a dry bag. They are designed to eliminate that exact problem. I've got an old Sea Line 15L bag that is great for small loads. They, as well as others, make larger packs too.