Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zone VI Compensating Enlarging Timer instructions

Zone VI Compensating Enlarging Timer instructions

I just acquired a used one of these, but without the instructions. Does anyone have an instruction sheet you could scan or copy and mail for me? Thanks

Let me look if I still have mine, I have had it for 10 years. If not I will be glad to guide you through it via e mail. SO we dont bore the guys here.

I'll take a look. In the meantime, they're not that difficult to operate. I have one that I use with my Zone VI type 1 enlarger VC diffusion head. I also purchased an additional sensor from Calumet that I installed on my D2V condenser head.

What are you planning on using it with? Does your lightsource have a sensor and connection for the compensating timer? Like I say, if not, it isn't too difficult to install one.

To use the timer, you need to first adjust it to your main lightsource with which you expect to use the timer. Connect the multipronged connector from the timer to your main lightsource. If the light source intensity is adjustable, then adjust it to the most common intensity that you use and turn on the lightsource. There's an adjustment on the timer; it's a setscrew off the back through a small hole, or you may need to open the box. I can't remember which.

>> Set the timer to about 20 seconds, turn it on using the toggle switch at the upper right, and press the red button at the lower left. The timer should make a beep each time it ticks off a "second".

>> Use a watch to adjust the setscrew until it takes 20 seconds on your watch for the timer to complete the 20 second cycle that you set on the timer.

>> Then, leave the setscrew alone forever, or as long as you use that lightsource. You've just adjusted the enlarger to your lightsource in a way that the time between beeps is close to a second.

In making this adjustment to the setscrew, it's appealing if the time between beeps is one second, but it's not essential. The important thing is that, for the same actual lamp intensity, the time between beeps remains constant. Once you've adjusted this setscrew, you are ready to use the timer. In fact, if you use the Zone VI compensating timer with more than one lightsource, as I do, only one lightsource can be adjusted correctly. But, it doesn't really matter when you print. In fact, you will perceive a significant difference in time between beeps even as the lightsource warms up.

If you keep exposure notes on each photo, an advantage of a compensating timer (Metrolux, Zone VI, etc.) is that you will get exactly the same exposure each time you print that photo, or at least until you replace the lamp in the lightsource or until you change the setscrew. There will be some differences with incandescent light, because the color of the light will change gradually over time.

To use the timer, follow the steps below:

>> 1. Connect the timer to your lightsource, as you've already done. Also connect the lightsource power plug to the left hand side of the timer. Turn on the timer using the toggle at the upper right. Until you decide to do otherwise, leave the intensity knob at maximum and leave the drydown knob at 0%.

>> 2. Turn on the focus light using the toggle at the lower right. Focus your image in the enlarger. Then turn off the focus light.

>> 3. Install your paper in the easel, and press the small red button at the lower left of the timer. If you have a footswitch, you can connect and use this to trigger the timer.

If you find that your exposure time doesn't give you enough time to dodge and burn, you can reduce the intensity using the intensity knob. Then use the timer again. There will be more time between beeps, but since the lightsource is at a lower intensity, one offsets the other as far as the photograph is concerned. At least, this is the theory. I would adjust the intensity knob as little as possible from the maximum so as to obtain the additional time that you need to dodge and burn. If your timer is connected to an incandescent lightsource, I wouldn't use it at all.

In varying degrees B&W prints look darker after they dry. So, you can get one that looks just right when it's wet in the darkroom, but when it dries in normal viewing light, it ends up looking too dark. The Zone VI timer let's you experiment so that, once you achieve a print that you like in the darkroom, you adjust the drydown percent knob and redo the print. When the print is dry, it should look just fine in a normal viewing area.

While one can, I don't use the drydown knob. I've instead installed a particular wattage bulb in my darkroom that gives me the same effect. On the other hand, the drydown knob enables one to have different adjustments for different papers.

If there's no light going to the Zone VI sensor, or the Zone VI connector isn't connected to the lightsource, the timer won't work. So, don't think that it's broken.

I like the Zone VI a lot. I especially like the knobs, versus the press many times approach. While not as needed with incandescent light, a compensating timer is essential with a cold light head.

To Jorge: They haven't been bored. They've been well informed. {:-)]

To Jorge: They haven't been bored. They've been well informed. {:-)]

Now...it wouldn't be wise of me to argue with the moderator....would it? ;-)

Thanks folks. On a whim I called Calumet and they faxed me a copy of the instruction sheet within 2 minutes! I also have the Z6 newsletter explaining how it works.

BTW this is replacing the Compensating Metronome I've used for 12 years with my Z6 enlarger. The only problem with the metronome is it's only accurate to within about 1/2 second. If that wasn't accurate enough for the situation, I'd have to stop down and start over. I've wanted one of these for years but they're very expensive; finally found a cheap used one. Thanks again.

Photographer

Call Calumet--they'll send you one for free.
    Keith Pitman

Re: Zone VI Compensating Enlarging Timer instructions

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Pierce View Post
    I just acquired a used one of these, but without the instructions. Does anyone have an instruction sheet you could scan or copy and mail for me? Thanks
    I just got this message/request and I am responding with the information that I have on hand. The instructions state the unit is designed for use with 110V AC, 50/60 Hz only. It advises that there are no user serviceable parts in the cold light head and the control box. That is bound to be soon ignored, when people need to replace parts in the head or the control box. Do not connect the light head power plug into the AC, unitl allother connections have been made.

The Other Connections:

You will have to read through Variable Contrast Cold Light Head instructions attachment below. Pay attention to the sections about connecting the Timer to the head, Connecting to AC Power, the Basic operations with the Cold Light Controls, and the Knob positions. I can only attach 4 files per post. The rest of the files, 8 and 9 are in my next posting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EPSON004.jpg   EPSON005.jpg   EPSON006.jpg   EPSON007.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Luther Hert View Post
    I just got this message/request and I am responding with the information that I have on hand. The instructions state the unit is designed for use with 110V AC, 50/60 Hz only. It advises that there are no user serviceable parts in the cold light head and the control box. That is bound to be soon ignored, when people need to replace parts in the head or the control box. Do not connect the light head power plug into the AC, unitl allother connections have been made.

The Other Connections:

You will have to read through Variable Contrast Cold Light Head instructions attachment below. Pay attention to the sections about connecting the Timer to the head, Connecting to AC Power, the Basic operations with the Cold Light Controls, and the Knob positions. I can only attach 4 files per post. The rest of the files, 8 and 9 are in my next posting.
    Files 8 and 9 are attached below. These files explain how to setup the enlarging timer, the light head, and the control box. There is nothing regarding how to use the three timer dials a how to use the sound loudness dial. My timer arrived DOA, so ZI cannot offer any hands on information regarding how to use the timer. The attached information will get you going. I hope this is helpful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EPSON008.jpg   EPSON009.jpg  

Hi Luther. I noticed that Ed Pierce's question was posted in 2003. neil