Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: "Sky Rock" Petroglyph

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: "Sky Rock" Petroglyph

Quote Originally Posted by dperez View Post
    I do not want to anger people by posting the GPS coordinates for anyone to find; however, as I mentioned to a couple people already, I have no problems sharing this info with responsible people, like members of this forum--when asked.

I am not one of those that believe in keeping such sites a secret, as these sites are for all of us to enjoy, but I am also cognizant of the fact that there are people out there that might cause damage to such sites
    Unfortunately not every member on this forum can be trusted to be "responsible" and even if they are there is the risk that they will blab the location to someone who isn't.

Frankly I am of the opinion that those who take the time and effort to find the site on their own are more likely to be "responsible." That the site exists today without being desecrated is proof of that IMO. If you know the location, then keeping it to yourself is the best policy to help preserve it for the future.

Thomas

Tim Sandstrom

I'll just add that the site is probably sacred to local Indian tribes.

Drew Wiley

Easy enough to find, and already a cliche. That grad filter diagonal and the PS hyped color makes the shot look corny anyway.

Michael E. Gordon

PLEASE, PLEASE - DO NOT give information on this location. As you are aware, this panel is untarnished by modern man - unlike others in the Volcanic Tablelands - and it can only stay this way if few know about it. Let others use their sense of adventure (or not) to find it, if they desire.

How do you know if someone is responsible merely through email contact? In this age of photo-trophy-hunting, we don't need photographers lining up at this sacred site so that they can 'bag it' like Galen did. PLEASE, Daniel, I respectfully ask you to not share the location info.

Great that you found the location, but due to wildfire disbursement of info in this modern age, I would suggest you not tell anyone where it is.

You tell a responsible soul on this forum, they tell a friend, that friend tells a couple more friends, one or more of them posts it on the web and next thing you know, the location is vandalized and trashed.

My take on it, anyway.

Harley

Drew Wiley

Or worse. Someone will want to hold a workshop out there and the herds will multiply.
    It will end up like the "Wave" in Utah and a lottery to see how many people can go in a
    given day.

Preston Birdwell

This is likely a sacred place and is a priceless artifact. Please keep the location secret.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Michael E. Gordon

As I continue to ponder this, I just remembered a recently famous case in which 60 year old James Redd - Blanding, Utah's esteemed and presumably "responsible" doctor - and his daughter were charged with illegal trafficking in American Indian artifacts. Thankfully, Utah's sacred sites won't have to worry about him anymore.
    http://protectsacredsites.blogspot.c...g-selling.html

Hopefully, you'll understand that you cannot control who will gain access to the information you want to freely provide. Some modern humans have the horrible habit of vandalizing and looting sacred sites. I wouldn't care as much if I didn't tire of seeing fences around these sites; seeing portions of rock faces sawed/chipped out and removed; and seeing modern idiot glyphs pecked on top of historic rock art.

The more people that know, the more likely the site will be damaged. Please think about it.

I felt compelled to add my input after receiving a link to this thread from a friend. I used to share your belief that responsible photographers can be trusted with this kind of information. I no longer do. Having worked in the southwest for many years, I had the misfortune to see two sites I discovered and shared in this manner destroyed.
    As someone mentioned above, it may not be the person you tell but the one they tell or further down the line. Trust me when I say you will feel terrible if this panel was ever vandalized and you were left wondering if you were partly responsible.
    Please don't put yourself and this pricelss location at risk of irreversible damage.

Guy

My opinion, don't tell even if asked.