Thread: New Coop Photo Gallery in Saratoga Springs...

New Coop Photo Gallery in Saratoga Springs...

It's in the formation stage, but I'm looking to establish a photographers cooperative gallery (and studio?) in Saratoga Springs or Ballston Spa NY.

Any local photographers interested?
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Re: New Coop Photo Gallery in Saratoga Springs...

Tell us more.

Here's what I've put together so far:

Saratoga Springs Photographer Cooperative Gallery/Studio Space

CALL FOR INTERESTED PARTICIPANTS

A local group of photographers is looking to form a Cooperative Photo Gallery and Studio Space, highlighting mainly Fine Art Photography. If you have the interest, energy and ability/resources to participate, please contact David at daimone@nycap.rr.com.

The following information is preliminary and subject to forming a mission statement.

The Goals of this project would be as follows:

• To provide a shared gallery space for showing works from member photographers.
    • To provide a shared studio space for creating images for member photographers (and provide an event/workshop space if possible).
    • To provide shared resources for member photographers.
    • To provide shared promotion of artwork by member photographers.
    • To provide networking and outreach to local businesses and arts organizations.
    • To become a regular venue for arts events and openings.

Member Contributions would include:

• Each member must contribute an annual, non-refundable membership fee that covers expenses of the Coop (to be determined)
    • Each member must participate in supporting the Coop by participating in the following:
    o Shifts to cover gallery during open days/hours.
    o Serving on a committee (i.e., outreach, logistics, etc…).
    • TBD

Member Benefits would include:

• Regular access to group and solo shows on a rotational basis.
    • Cooperative gallery space staffed by participants.
    • Group promotion and outreach.
    • Shared studio space for photo sessions.
    • TBD

I've been looking at rental spaces in Saratoga Springs and Ballston Spa.
    David Aimone Photography

"I've been looking at rental spaces in Saratoga Springs and Ballston Spa"

Perhaps you could also consider spaces a bit further to the South (and East) to make this more attractive to Capital District (and maybe, Berkshire region) photographers.

I have been a member of an artisans cooperative since its beginning 8 years ago. Coops come in all different shapes and sizes, but if you have any questions, let me know.

Ours does not deal with studio space, just a retail gallery. Thirty-two members at the present time with a full spectrum of media. There is a one-time membership "fee" or buy-in as we call it, plus a monthly rent cost of $60 per month. The gallery takes 20% commission to cover all other expenses other than the lease. Everyone works two 4-hour shifts a month in the gallery, plus committee work (<10/hrs a month). We have an elected Board of Directors and are a limited liability partnership.

Good luck! I like your idea of having workshop space -- a percentage of the revenue from workshops could cover many expenses and would bring in possible new members.

Vaughn

Saratoga Springs is where I live and has a lot of potential for viewing traffic year around, but especially in the summer. Besides, Albany and Troy have a number of photo galleries, as well as the Photocenter of the Capital District in Troy. Then, going south, there's the CPW in Woodstock.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    "I've been looking at rental spaces in Saratoga Springs and Ballston Spa"

Perhaps you could also consider spaces a bit further to the South (and East) to make this more attractive to Capital District (and maybe, Berkshire region) photographers.
    David Aimone Photography

Thanks, Vaughn. That's helpful information and not very different than what I've been imagining. The studio/workshop space is dependent on the space that we can find and afford, but it would be nice.

I was thinking about a dozen members, but again that depends on how things progress. What is your buy-in fee?

David

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I have been a member of an artisans cooperative since its beginning 8 years ago. Coops come in all different shapes and sizes, but if you have any questions, let me know.

Ours does not deal with studio space, just a retail gallery. Thirty-two members at the present time with a full spectrum of media. There is a one-time membership "fee" or buy-in as we call it, plus a monthly rent cost of $60 per month. The gallery takes 20% commission to cover all other expenses other than the lease. Everyone works two 4-hour shifts a month in the gallery, plus committee work (<10/hrs a month). We have an elected Board of Directors and are a limited liability partnership.

Good luck! I like your idea of having workshop space -- a percentage of the revenue from workshops could cover many expenses and would bring in possible new members.

Vaughn
    David Aimone Photography