Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Question for headless photographers

Re: Question for headless photographers

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    Wouldn't the size of the camera bed make it awkward to access the controls of a pan head? I forget, is this 8x10?
    Hi Jerold,

It's an Arca-Swiss 8x10 monorail, so that isn't an issue. However, the Novoflex Panorama Plate is pretty small in diameter. I understand now, when Christopher Broadbent talked about using the Novoflex, why he said that he would have preferred something larger. I'm going to make some measurements of my tripod crown and camera tripod block and drop by B&H again later this week. Today, it was open for the first time in 10 days and it was a madhouse I did a quick run-through, will go back when things are calmer.
    Last edited by r.e.; 23-Oct-2011 at 19:56.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

That is a nice aspect of a monorail vs. a field camera. But yes, the relatively small top plates on these things are more of a see-saw design than a camera support.

I need a 6 inch square, carbon fiber lazy Susan as the trpod's top plate.

I forget exactly how it worked, but Bruce Wehman (Wehman Cameras) has a clever, minimalist design for mounting his 8x10 that consisted of an aluminum disc on the bottom of the camera. It locked down tight but if slightly loosened it would pan.

for light weight witht he 11x14 field camera (hah ha ha ha ha) I've started using a safe lock projector table---huge base--4 legs.....just place the big 11x14 field camera on the top of it flat base on the flat base of the table...either put a sticky kitchen cabinet rubber on top to keep it from slipping OR...for minute slide adjustments, put a cardboard or something...a cutting board works too (keep the bottom of the camera from being scratched up.....it has 4 legs---so kind of a pain sometimes...but for light weight, the safe lock is the absolute best---a modification o that table with three legs would be the best, but they donnt make them---using a safe lock is silmilar to some of these ulf cameras with "made for the camera" tripods, that use the WHOLE camera base as the base plate.

the safe lock can be carried next to a case of filmholders adding minimal weight--I started doing this so that I can carry the 11x14, a pack of like 10 film holders (heavy--fidelity) for the other arm--and a bag with big packard box, lens, meter, vivitar 285, tape, etc etc.....over the shoulder--now where to put the saltzman???? NOWHERE...gotta make 2 trips or use a cart---FOR GET THAT....so I saw this safe lock on craigslist---does the job for moveing the camera to , say another building for portrats or whatever--use the camera movements to "level" it---OR...bring some shims (or "find" some at your destination)...you can put in books, magazines newspapers to proper thickness under the camera bottom....it works out pretty good so far---

to move the camera around on the floor too--to compose portraits, I get these furnature sliders for the bottom of the legs...allows the whole shebang to be moved around on a floor, carpet.

Manfrotto has a slide projector plate that fits atop a tripod. A handy person could add a camera screw to the top for something like the big 11x14. I would hate to leave the camera up there unattached. It weighs almost as much as my tripod though, so not a good option for "ultralight" 8x10.

hay---that's a pretty decent size plate...BUT....maybe I'll just make a bigger plate for the calumet tripod I got....just lke a bigger base---I'm actually getting used to the big camera resting without anything holding it....I guess if I want to use extreme angles, there's always the carpenters clamps..

it's an iterative process...getting what works right with me for what I'm doing at the current time...what works now...well..probably won't work in a year if doing something else....there a millions ways to skin a cat....just keep looking is what I do---there's ALWAYS another way to do it. just because it's been done before, that don't mean that's the best way---

a lot of things evolve because they are best--that's nature at work, but some things aren't best for all people---you use what works best for you.

there is NO "best" anything.....it's all relative to the situation at hand and the job to get done---and the tools available--the constraints--especially time, I'm finding, is a huge constraint.....ahhhh..but I digress....

I measured the diameter of the Novoflex Universal Panorama Basewhile at the NY Photo Show yesterday. For whatever reason, this info is not available on the Novoflex site, nor, as far as i can tell, anywhere else. Anyway, the disc is 50cm.

The Really Right Stuff equivalent, which comes with an Arca-Swiss style quick release clamp, is 70 mm.

The Novoflex is $195 and the Really Right Stuff is $235. Novoflex makes a version with a clamp, but it is much more expensive. I have not seen the RRS plate, and therefore can't make a comparison.

I didn't read through the other responses so my apologies if what I say has been covered already.

I am using a Berlebach without a head. My camera mounts directly to a ball and socked joint on top of the tripod. I can loosen easily loosen and tighten the ball to pan. Problem is, there is 15 degrees of tilt so whenever I pan I have to re-level the camera. Personally this doesn't bother me in the least. I know you say you don't need tilt, nor do I, but the 15 d tilt is great to have to fine tune leveling the camera which would solve #2 on your list. For me the easiest level is simply a standalone level that I keep in my bag. I can use it where ever I need it whenever I need it.

I have really only used a headless tripod, so I don't know what I am missing. Don't really care either since my headless system works perfect for me and it cost a ton less.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    I measured the diameter of the Novoflex Universal Panorama Basewhile at the NY Photo Show yesterday. For whatever reason, this info is not available on the Novoflex site, nor, as far as i can tell, anywhere else. Anyway, the disc is 50cm.
    50 cm? That is almost 20 inches in diameter. Quite the plate. Are you sure you don't mean 50 mm, but that is like balancing an 8x10 on a thimble.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    50 cm? That is almost 20 inches in diameter. Quite the plate. Are you sure you don't mean 50 mm, but that is like balancing an 8x10 on a thimble.
    Hi Jerold, sorry yes I meant 5cm, 50mm. Which makes it small, although I know, from other threads, that Christopher Broadbent is using it for 8x10, although he also said that he would prefer something larger. The RRS panorama plate is apparently larger, based on a telephone discussion with them, by 2cm, 20mm.