Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ventilated Backpacks and photobackpacker cases

Ventilated Backpacks and photobackpacker cases

Anyone using the photobackpacker setup with one of the ventilated style backpacks? I'm wondering how the 23x12 backer board works in them.

wmsey

Re: Ventilated Backpacks and photobackpacker cases

The backer board is made to fit a specific pack. Generally dimensions of packs are available on either one of the big retailers or the manufactures sites.

But that's not the real problem. There are very few panel loading backpacks currently available. I went on this scavenger hunt and found a couple but the industry, except for travel packs and some technical packs, is all about top loading. I have the same backer board but I found nothing that it "fit" into. It will sit in a larger pack and with some ingenuity can be used but again - panel loaders are rare.

So what pack did I wind up with: An Arteryx Miura. Comes in two sizes - 30 and 50 liters. Not strictly speaking a panel loader but more a "clam shell" design. Anyway, it works well and carries well. Alas, the backer board sits on a shelf. Also, since it seems a concern, these are not particularly well ventilated packs. The gear goes in f-stop gear ICU's and Gnass Gear Lens cases. There is currently a Kickstarter project that may change that arrangement: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/trekpak/trekpak

The Arcteryx pack (I went with the 50) carries much better than the RPT Kelty. Osprey travel packs, again not famous for ventilation or comfort, may also be worth a look. Good luck.

The backer board I bought has handles so you can pull it out of a top loading backpack (Bkbd23TL Top loading 23" X 12" Backerboard). I have used it in a large non ventilated top loading backpack. The Gregory Z40 seems to have a panel access and ventilation the larger Z's don't have panel access. I asked them if it would fit a 23x12x7 load and they didn't think it would work or at least it would be very tight. The curvature of the back may be more of a problem. The depth of the curve on the Z40 is 2". If anybody is using one of the ventilated packs I would think they would have to modify the backer board in some way.

I have a Deuter futura zero 40 to haul my 4X5 kit around and although I don't have one of those fancy backer boards, I don't think it would work in the pack either. At one point this pack was on clearance and I kicked myself for not buying a second one. In part because I really like the pack (better than than anything else I've found in the category) and in part because I wanted to tear up the one I've got to install a panel zipper.

I tend to agree that the bow of the pack frame would probably cause some issues with the board. But if you've got a panel zip, do you just want the backer board to organize the contents? I've never felt a desire to have everything locked together, but I have on many occasions felt that the panel zip would make it alot easier to get to the thing I wanted from the pack.

And one other thing. When I moved to the ventilated pack frame, I never looked back. They are so much more comfortable to carry for long periods and tough hikes. Kinda makes you wonder why all the old external frame packs are gone, since they frequently offered similar ventilation.

funkadelic

I haven't looked at packs in a while, but Osprey had the Atmos series that had a nice suspension/ventilation system. The smaller ones I was looking at were top loaders. I don't recall if the larger ones had panel access. The shape of the back made for odd packing, so I ended up with a larger, but more efficient top loading ULA Catalyst.
    Check out the Six Moon Designs Traveler. Their focus is on features and light weight. Ventilation may be of less concerrn if it's less work to haul the pack. If you're going this route, look at the optional hoop stay and a foam pad to give a firm surface for the camera to rest between it and your back.
    http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/packs/Traveler.html
    Last edited by cdholden; 18-Apr-2012 at 03:30.

Anyone tried using an ALICE military system? Living in the tropics, I would love an external frame system, but as has been noted, they seem to be extinct.

I'm also looking at a Dueter Futura Pro 42. Almost all packs are top loading. The backer board allows me to pull everything out in one shot and put it back in in one shot. So its not a great loss to have a top loading only pack. But still it's nice to have a panel. I was thinking if the curvature was a problem I might be able to replace the backer board with some kind of strapping that would stick to the Velcro.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrladewig View Post
    I have a Deuter futura zero 40 to haul my 4X5 kit around and although I don't have one of those fancy backer boards, I don't think it would work in the pack either. At one point this pack was on clearance and I kicked myself for not buying a second one. In part because I really like the pack (better than than anything else I've found in the category) and in part because I wanted to tear up the one I've got to install a panel zipper.

I tend to agree that the bow of the pack frame would probably cause some issues with the board. But if you've got a panel zip, do you just want the backer board to organize the contents? I've never felt a desire to have everything locked together, but I have on many occasions felt that the panel zip would make it alot easier to get to the thing I wanted from the pack.

Look at the Mystery Ranch packs (the Big Sky). They are tri zip packs which open up the entire interior. I just got one for my 4X5.

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by fralexis View Post
    Look at the Mystery Ranch packs (the Big Sky). They are tri zip packs which open up the entire interior. I just got one for my 4X5.
    Is Bob Molen still involved with Big Sky? Unless he's sold to someone else, I won't suggest anyone to deal with them. He had a couple years there of taking people's money, but not delivering. I don't know if he ever made good on all of them, but if even one person got screwed by his "Wisner-esque" business model, I won't support him.