Thread: Umbrellas

Umbrellas

Hi Guys

I've had a trawl through the archives, but I can't find the info I'm looking for. I believe that you can buy a clamp arrangement which allows you to clamp an unbrella to the tripod leg for shooting in the rain. Does anybody know where I can buy one, preferably in the U.K.? Either a complete clamp and umbrella set, or just the clamp itself would be fine.

Thanks.

Steve

www.landscapesofwales.co.uk

Umbrellas

Steve,

How big of an umbrella? I think attaching an umbrella to the tripod might make things a little too interesting should the wind kick up. Maybe this would work: places that sell fishing tackle have a device---a piece of tube with a spike attached, for holding surf casting rods in beach sand. If you can find one with an inside diameter that would accomodate a patio type umbrella you can drive the stake into the ground, open the umbrella and be dry. If the wind starts to carry the umbrella away, at least you won't need a crash course in aerial photography to get your shot! ----Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Umbrellas

across here you can get unbrella's with a flexi arm and a clamp for attaching to a baby stoller (push chair) - they are generally smaller umbrellas, but it might do the trick.

Mayb a trip to Mothercare...?

Usually along this sort of line: http://www.choochoobaby.com/stumbyjoju.html

You might (or might not) want to get rid of the frill, depending on you style... :-)

tim

actually this one looks pretty good 30" isn't too bad:

http://www.plaza101.com/plaza/search/res/r552385.html
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Umbrellas

Well...clamping an umbrella to the tripod for shooting under the rain, even without wind, may induce tripod vibrations. I suggest taking the umbrella in your hand while exposing film. Jean-Marie

Umbrellas

Give golfing mobs a go. I have such a thing, marketed as a golf umbrella clamp. It was bought from a mail order outfit. Actually works very well, especially in verticle rain and on such occasions that you need to have your outfit up and ready whilst you barter with the unwilling. i.e. Out in the open waiting to assemble them on the church steps.
    Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure... Life is either daring adventure or nothing: Helen Keller.

Umbrellas

Alternately, you might bring a light stand with an appropriate clamp for the umbrella, and maybe some sandbags or something heavy to keep it from blowing over. And then there's always the option of putting a plastic trash bag over the camera with a hole for the lens and a slit for access to the back.

Umbrellas

In the past, Eddie Bauer sold a "beach chair unbrella" which was exactly what you were looking for. However, the year I was looking for one, it was not made, and I ended up making one myself. You might want to check whether it's on their catalog again.

Umbrellas

I'll side with those who are concerned about the umbrella being too hazardous should the wind kick up. Much better to use an assistant.

Umbrellas

It was always my intention to hold the umbrella when it came to actually taking the shots. I carry one anyway to use as a windbreak, so I'm quite adept at changing Quickload sheets whilst holding a brollie.

BTW, in his book on LF photography, Jack Dykinga has a shot of his camera on a tripod with an umbrella attached. Doesn't say whether he removes it when taking the shot though.

Thanks for all the input guys. Guess I'll be visiting the local Mothercare this weekend. That should raise a few eyebrows in the family :-)

Steve

www.landscapesofwales.co.uk

Umbrellas

Bogen makes a universal clampning gizmo which I use with a cheap foldup umbrella—for setup. A rain hood/dark cloth would be preferable for shooting...