Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos at Occupying Wall Street

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Photos at Occupying Wall Street

Yeah, you'll need that if you want to stand out there with no effect. But otherwise it's just a serious nuisance. You can still operate the camera, no problem. The biggest problem is some nut with no aim throwing a rock. Bicycle helmets are good enough for that.

I'm almost done developing what I shot weekend before last, only eight more sheets to go. I got all the roll film done. And there's a local "Occupy..." bunch that just started hanging out by the court house. I got home late, so I didn't have time to go photograph them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    I was planning to bring a tent and a sleeping bag and my Graflex Super D. Now I guess I have to order a new item to prepare for the worst:

http://www.amazon.com/Israeli-Civili.../dp/B0002XJ2OU

Oh, and a helmet.
    Hugo,

These masks are very hard to photograph with. Last resort only.
    Try to find an old Canadian army mask, they filter better (longer per canister), the filter is set off to the side, not hanging in front, and the glass opening are perfectly square with the user's eyes, making shooting much easier.

A lot of TV cameramen have gone to a fireman's style mask, which is great, but much more $$$

If you go for a helmet, don't get an all black colored helmet, the cops might mistake you for a Black Block type, which would not be a good thing.
    As with every demo these days, there is always a small group that tries to hijack the event and get violent, just to be violent.
    Until event participants like this (Occupy) start actually seizing these few thugs and tossing them over to the cops there is always the risk it will get crazy and you don't want to be dressed like them.
    (that said, it looked like the Oakland cops just want to crack a few heads as much as the few "black block" wanted to smash stuff, so you just never know what will happen when the masses get caught between the 2 sides).

When I drove by Occupy MTL today, there was one cop, sitting a 1/4 block away, just watching. That was it for police presence.
    I think you will start to see "flash mob" demos, and the cops here just want to watch for a quick assembly of the group.
    Last edited by Allen in Montreal; 27-Oct-2011 at 21:20.

Alex Thomas

I took my 3x4 Anniversary Speed out, loaded with Efke PL 25 orthochromatic film. I'm fairly pleased with these three, although I haven't quite gotten the hang of tray developing large batches.

I kind of missed the focus on this because I was shooting wide open. Oh well, this is how we learn.

If anyone has any tips on how to better shoot moving crowds with LF, I'd be glad to hear them.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen in Montreal View Post
    Hugo,

These masks are very hard to photograph with. Last resort only.
    Try to find an old Canadian army mask, they filter better (longer per canister), the filter is set off to the side, not hanging in front, and the glass opening are perfectly square with the user's eyes, making shooting much easier.

A lot of TV cameramen have gone to a fireman's style mask, which is great, but much more $$$

If you go for a helmet, don't get an all black colored helmet, the cops might mistake you for a Black Block type, which would not be a good thing.
    As with every demo these days, there is always a small group that tries to hijack the event and get violent, just to be violent.
    Until event participants like this (Occupy) start actually seizing these few thugs and tossing them over to the cops there is always the risk it will get crazy and you don't want to be dressed like them.
    (that said, it looked like the Oakland cops just want to crack a few heads as much as the few "black block" wanted to smash stuff, so you just never know what will happen when the masses get caught between the 2 sides).

When I drove by Occupy MTL today, there was one cop, sitting a 1/4 block away, just watching. That was it for police presence.
    I think you will start to see "flash mob" demos, and the cops here just want to watch for a quick assembly of the group.
    Yes the Canadian masks are though not comfortable can be worn when photographing or videotaping. Fairly good vision and the canisters must work. No, never in a riot but did work in counter terrorist training when live agent (in very small doses) was in play.

Occupy Los Angeles
    4x5 crop, 150mm Sironar-S, f22 4 minutes

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Axon990 View Post
    I kind of missed the focus on this because I was shooting wide open. Oh well, this is how we learn.

If anyone has any tips on how to better shoot moving crowds with LF, I'd be glad to hear them.
    The best thing to do is use a fast film, and then stop down. Unless you have an accurate rangefinder on your camera, it will always be a guess. For myself, I would first use GG to focus before they started marching, and then stop down and run along.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Beckenbach View Post
    Occupy Los Angeles
    4x5 crop, 150mm Sironar-S, f22 4 minutes
    great image!

better hurry. "da man" is coming for the occupiers!
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Wondering if I can get some feedback from anybody here.
    I just finished a few days at "Occupy Ottawa", taking some portraits.
    Initially, I simply went to see who was still there; as I progressed, I tried to figure out what I was doing there, much like the protesters themselves.
    Here's the link:
    http://www.aritapiero.com/occupy-ottawa.html

Thanks in advance.

I like the photograph of the police officer on a park bench. Which park? Looks like somewhere by the bike path on the Rideau Canal close to downtown.

A very different scene from what I've seen at Zuccotti.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Nice work. If you were to back up 40 years this group of portraits could be depicting the de-institutionalization of state psychiatric hospitals.