Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much for these technika's?

Re: How much for these technika's?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    A Technika is a wonderful camera BUT for field use it's heavy and somewhat clunky to use (and costs a fortune to have lenses coupled to the rangefinder). Since you already have a monorail you might consider a much less expensive and lighter camera for field use, (such as a Crown or Super Graphic, or Busch Pressman).
    I do not mind but rather like the ruggidity, and the cambo is a lot heavier.
    i want to look at alternatives but there are not much offerings in the Crown, Super, Graphic departement, at least in the Netherlands.
    Also reading different posts the general advice is to look for a camera that is still going strong parts wise.

Greetings,

Peter Koning

Both prices seem high to me based on U.S. prices. I'd expect to pay about $1,200 - $1,400 for a IV and about $1,500 - $1,700 for a V. I can't read the language so I know nothing about the lens except that it's an older version of whatever lens it is and I'd be surprised if it's worth the difference.

Apart from price, Technikas are great cameras. I've owned a V and a Master. Of the ten or so other 4x5s I've owned (Ebonys, Tachiharas, Shen Hao, Chamonix, et al) they were by far my favorites. But they are expensive to repair so if you buy one I'd make sure you can thoroughly inspect it first and/or have a right to return if you're dissatisfied.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I bought a Master Technika through Marktplaats (Netherlands) last year for 2,300 euro (US$ 2,667). It is the current model, fitted with the Linhof super screen ground glass and it came with 3 modern lenses and their respective rangefinder cams, the grip and the current multifocus viewfinder. Except for a little paint scratches on the back of the folding hood, everything was almost as new.

In that regard, the model 4 priced at 1,950 euro seems too expensive although I realise mine was cheap. The other one seems nice. The way I read the term "well used" in the add it may also mean "used with care", at least when I look at the pictures.

If you can live with it's shortcomings, there is also a Tech 3 offered on Marktplaats at this moment for 525 euro, including a lens. It might be an interesting camera.

Good luck with your search,
    Frank
    www.frankbunnik.zenfolio.com

And don't forget really light weight cameras such as the wooden Nagaoka, Wista Gandolfi, etc.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I talked to the owner of the V (950); the camera is in an excellent working condition he used it for a couple of years. He was not sure if the bellows were once replaced, but the condition is very good. Probably they are replaced at a certain point in time.

@Brian- the price of 950 Euro is than reasonable don't you think, I mean its far less than 1700 $.

The other camera is indeed to expensive with the lenses, although the condition of the camera looks very good.
    I could bid on the camera alone. starting at 750 Euro. Is that reasonable??
    I leave out the lenses because of the in general not so good experiences with Compur shutters. Also the fact that they have no full view lever seems awkward.
    I want to go for a lV, V or Master because of the availability of parts and new generation lensboards.

Greetings,

Peter Koning

Quote Originally Posted by VanDyke View Post
    I leave out the lenses because of the in general not so good experiences with Compur shutters. Also the fact that they have no full view lever seems awkward.
    I want to go for a lV, V or Master because of the availability of parts and new generation lensboards.

Greetings,

Peter Koning

Peter,

I was referring specifically to the Compur 00 shutter (I thought also used on twin reflex such as the Rolleicord etc..) Compur 0 and 1 are fine shutters with the pre-view option. In fact some people prefer them to Copal's because they have more shutter blades (at least the older ones do) than a Copal, and this is said to give a nicer Bokeh.

Lens boards for a Tech III are just square pieces of aluminium with a hole, and are easily made by a machinist if you have that connection. Tech IV boards are far more complex, and can be bought new and a premium, or second hand a bit cheaper. Currently I am swapping my lenses from Tech III to Tech IV boards, and I am quite happy with Chinese Shen Hao boards, not the real thing, but they fit at a fraction of the price of a Linhof..

Tech III are a joy to use, precise and solid, fast set-up, the main reason for my switch is the lack of front tilt (which can be over come with a drop-bed, raise, back tilt: everything is parallel again than, and if you move the front to neutral you have your front tilt, and do not rule out the back which can be tilted ) and the difficulties of using a 65mm on the Tech III.

Good luck,

Cor

Best,

Cor

I understand that the Technika lV (1995) is not for sale anymore. The owner is going to use it for a project. he expects to put it on sale again within a couple of months.
    He keeps me in the loop.
    I will take a look at the other camera asap (tech V).
    Another question is that if i am able to buy a technika in the near future, and its sold without a lens. How difficult is it to take my 210 with copal 1 from my Cambo lensboard and put it on a Linhof lensboard.
    I initially thought that is easy to do, but after looking at some pictures of llinhof lensboards I saw that in some cases there are extra screws at the inside of the board. can someone tell me what this screw is holding. The lens on my Cambo board is only fitted wit one big threaded ring.
    At this link you find a picture with the back of a lensboard showinh what I mean.

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/MASTER-TECHNI...item4842285e97

Greetings,

Peter Koning

Don't worry about the extra screws. That's just to hold the optional (red on the front of the board) cable-release gizmo in place.

A Linhof board (Technika board) is just the same as any other board, except it only goes in one way. You use the same retaining ring to hold the lens in place. No difference at all.

--Darin

btw, the one you link to seems very expensive by USA standards. It's at 3400 Euros--that expensive in dollars let alone Euros.

--Darin

Ok Darrin, no worries than.
    And your right about the ad its an expensive one, although i think it can be considered like new.with the price is the lens included with cam;
    But I agree its a bundle, probably its coming from its cradle Germany. wish I had the money