Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much for these technika's?

Re: How much for these technika's?

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Don't worry about the extra screws. That's just to hold the optional (red on the front of the board) cable-release gizmo in place.

A Linhof board (Technika board) is just the same as any other board, except it only goes in one way. You use the same retaining ring to hold the lens in place. No difference at all.

--Darin
    As Darin says, the screws in question hold the cable-release gizmo in place. But you do want to make sure that the gizmo is firmly in place. If it falls off or you take it off there will be a little hole (or maybe more than one, I forget) that will leak light and ruin your photographs unless you then cover the holes with tape or something else. I learned that one the hard way.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

To All

This afternoon I looked at two master technika's. One of them really looked good. It was my first time fiddling with a technika . It feels all very solid and I must say the camera feels heavier than I expected.The price is 1995 Euro, which is out of my league. Anyway I also looked at a Horseman, and i must say absolutely not bad.However
    I noticed that there were no rear movements. Now after some googling I came to the conclusion that with most of the metal view camera's the rear movements are very limited. The only one I could find is the Wista SP, which has some rear movements. What I would like you to ask is, if my conclusion is correct; if you want a metal folding field camera and want at least some rear movement you have very little choice; its a technika or a wista SP and with the availability in mind of the Wista's, Linhof is the only brand left. Please tell me I am wrong, because I want to have a camera in three months but not necessarily a technika.

Greetings

Peter Koning

Quote Originally Posted by VanDyke View Post
    [B]To All[B]

This afternoon I looked at two master technika's. One of them really looked good. It was my first time fiddling with a technika . It feels all very solid and I must say the camera feels heavier than I expected.The price is 1995 Euro, which is out of my league. Anyway I also looked at a Horseman, and i must say absolutely not bad.However
    I noticed that there were no rear movements. Now after some googling I came to the conclusion that with most of the metal view camera's the rear movements are very limited. The only one I could find is the Wista SP, which has some rear movements. What I would like you to ask is, if my conclusion is correct; if you want a metal folding field camera and want at least some rear movement you have very little choice; its a technika or a wista SP and with the availability in mind of the Wista's, Linhof is the only brand left. Please tell me I am wrong, because I want to have a camera in three months but not necessarily a technika.

Greetings

Peter Koning
    The Linhof TechniKardan 45 and 45s are 45 folding monorail cameras with lots of front and back movements. The only movement on the back that it does not have is back drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    The Linhof TechniKardan 45 and 45s are 45 folding monorail cameras with lots of front and back movements. The only movement on the back that it does not have is back drop.
    I really want to narrow it down to metal folding types with the bellows safely inside.

greetings,

Peter Koning

To All
    What I would like you to ask is, if my conclusion is correct; if you want a metal folding field camera and want at least some rear movement you have very little choice; its a technika or a wista SP and with the availability in mind of the Wista's, Linhof is the only brand left. Please tell me I am wrong, because I want to have a camera in three months but not necessarily a technika.
    Peter Koning
    The Meridian 45B (about $400 on Ebay), an American press camera that is no longer manufactured, has a back like the Technika for rear movements. It also has focusing on the inner rail for wideangle lenses, like the newest versions of the Technika. Build quality is excellent, though certainly nowhere near the Linhof. I honestly stopped my long-term pursuit of a Linhof after getting the 45B.

Another camera with rear movements like the Linhof is the MPP.
    Peter Y.

Hey Peter,

My gut instinct tells me the camera you want is the Toyo 45 series. Great camera. Popular and fairly easy to come by. Built super-well, not as heavy as the Linhof. Doesn't have the degree of movements or lens extension as the Linhof either but for most people it has plenty.

In terms of rear movements it has rear swing, and rear tilt. You can also fake rear rise by angling the bed downward slightly (which raises the back in relation to the front standard. That's easier to understand in pictures, maybe).

I have used them in the past and love them and bought one again a few months back (though I haven't really used it since--just don't want to sell it).

The AX is the cheaper one without folding hood (which you will want) and without fresnel (which you may our may not care about). I paid something like $500 for mine plus another $75 for the hood, used but minty in box. Add about $100 to the total if you are in a hurry and can't wait for the best deal. Their resale value is high so you can sort of rent for free if you decide you don't like it. Boards are slightly bigger than the technika but easy to come by and cheap. There's even an adapter to use technika boards but it doesn't allow the camera to fold up while it is on.

There is also a 45A (older) 45AII (current high end) models. All the same I think except for the back--rotating (slighting heavier) vs either vertical or hgorizonal but nothing in between (cheaper and lighter by a little). See the Toyo's page for details.

Lots of Toyo owners here on the LFF forum.

--Darin

Anyway I also looked at a Horseman, and i must say absolutely not bad.However I noticed that there were no rear movements.
    Which model Horseman did you look at? The 45FA has the same, somewhat awkward, 4-post rear tilt/swing movements as the Technika. The 45HD doesn't; I'm not sure about the older 45HF.

@ Peter. Thank you for the suggestion , I will keep it in mind, but I must say that here in the Netherlands chances are few I bump into one. My preference also is to be able to take the camera into my hands before I buy it. Its not carved in marble but, its a hurdle for me to take.

@ Oren. I think that I looked at the 45 HD than. I will look out for the 45 FA though.
    I should have take more time to look. But the Horseman quality definitely impressed me.

@ Darin. You are right! Toyo is more and more not subconsciously on my mind.
    The thing I worry about is the bellows extension. Please tell me Darin what limitations there are in terms of bellows extension? Which lenses do you use?
    I should look for the 45Aii right?
    Also I know what you mean with faking the rear rise, by moving the horizontal axes.
    you are very good with words; no pictures were needed

Ok, for next week I made an appointment to take a look at the Technika V; I'll keep you informed about that.

My brains are now coping with the "problem"in a more structured way.
    The shortlist evolved is: 1. Technika V or Master
    2. Wista SP
    3. Toyo 45AX
    4. Horseman 45FA
    5. meridian, Crown, Busch types

@ Cor. I forgot to thank you explaining the peculiars of Compur shutters, I had no experience with them.

All please dive into the questions I asked Darin.

Lots of greetings,

Peter Koning

>>I should look for the 45Aii right?<<

Maybe not. I used to have the 45AII but I bought the AX this time. The rotating back was nice--I used it to do fine leveling--but it turns out for very small adjustments near "zero" adjustment the lock won't grab very well. You have to go either back to zero or go a little further than you want to. Makes that aspect sort of semi-useful. The real advantage then becomes the speed at which you can go from horizontal to vertical--which really isn't that big of a deal. So maybe go the AX route to save weight.

Add the folding ground glass viewer/cover and you are good to go. The Toyos are identical otherwise.

Bellows-wise you can use a 300 ok. Focuses down to about 15 feet or so with full extension.

--Darin

Darin, you are right, a already edit it. I was thinking of the AX.
    Indeed I do not need a revolving back. Thanks for the info though, comes handy should I run into a Aii.

Peter Koning