Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harrison changing tents question

Do or do not. There is no try.

Harrison changing tents question

There are three Harrison changing tent sizes: poppa tent, momma tent, and baby tent. Is it practical to use the smallest tent with 5x7? How about WP? I'm guessing 8x10/7x11 will be too big for the smallest test and will probably warrant the middle one...

I have a Calumet changing bag that's OK for 4x5 but may be tight for 5x7 (haven't tried yet), but I don't like that it doesn't sit flat. That promotes things sliding around, which irritates my Mr. Fussy side.

Re: Harrison changing tents question

I have owned all three. The smallest pup tent is 4x5 only as far as I'm concerned but I have done some 5x7 in it, uncomfortably.

The middle-sized regular one is very nice for 4x5 and 5x7, it allows you to spread everything out and not stack too much. You can do 8x10 in it, barely.

The jumbo one is great for 8x10. You could also sleep in it when pinched ;-p

If I had ULF I'd want a custom one made.

I've had the Calumets and Redwings too. The Harrisons are light years ahead, they actually do lie flat and don't waste all the space the less expensive ones do.

The one caveat is not to wear DEET or other weird chemicals that may harm the coated Nylon, causing it to become sticky. This may also be an aging problem as coated fabrics don't last forever. But the Harrisons are very well constructed and thought out, so I tend to blame the photographer more than the company for these problems. I bought one on eBay once that was all mildewed - people abuse their gear, it's dumb.

Lachlan 717

I use a Jumbo for 7x17 and a Pup 6x17/4x5. I've loaded 8x10 in the Pup; however, it's a real PITA as you need to stack things as you go.

Interestingly/strangely, my Jumbo is badged as a Pup...
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I have the pup and the regular (8x10). You can do 4x5 in the pup. It's a little cramped but very lightweight and easily packed for backpacking. The regular or 8x10 is really nice and roomy for 4x5 but cramped for 8x10. I only have 4 8x10 holders and found that I could load all 4 only if I had carefully arranged the holders and film inside the tent. If I had the extra dough I'd get the 11x14 tent for 8x10 but with only 4 holders...

Thomas

I use the Jumbo for everything up to 7x17. It doesn't take that much more room to carry it, and the added space makes working in it a delight.

I have the middle one I think, designated for 8x10 and find it a little tight.

Keep in mind that they are not very tall and that is my only complaint. They take up a lot of real estate also - you need a large table.

When I travel, I try to find a suitable hotel bathroom that I can black out at night and use that for film changing. But that requires some creativity and counter space so the Harrison gets the most work.

There's actually four sizes, the larges is a jumbo with wings attached for long darkslides. Keep in mind that these tents are actually made for loading movie camera magazines. The medium is perfect for 1000' panavision and arri mags, that's why I bought mine 13 years ago and it's still in good shape (except the inner layer of rubbery fabric is getting sticky.

Do or do not. There is no try.

Thanks everyone, this is a great example of the valuable experience available on this forum!

Shoot, just bought the medium one (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ging_Tent.html) and hope it works out for 8x10, according to the description in B&H it is suited for it.

I bought it as I am headed to Brazil next week with 200 sheets of film to shoot a very interesting project and rather only bring bring 4 holders instead of the 15 I own.

Cheers!

That's the one i have too it's okay for 8x10. You don't need to pull your darkslides out very far to load the film anyway.