Thread: Tachihara tripod mount

Tachihara tripod mount

I would like to check if anyone has adapted a 3/8" tripod mount on Tachihara 4x5.

My unit comes with 2 holes, but both at 1/4" thread.

Regards KW..

Jean-Louis Llech

Tachihara tripod mount

I can't imagine to mount a 4x5" camera with a 1/4" thread.
    IMO, don't try to use a 1/4" to 3/8" converter.
    By doing this, the weak point would be transerred from the head to the camera, without any improvment of the solidity.

Better to contact Tachihara or your reseller to know if a transformation would be possible.
    JLL

Tachihara tripod mount

The 8x10 Tachihara comes with both 1/4" and 3/8" holes. Under normal circumstances, however, the screw doesn't really come under much stress unless the tripod head is tilted 90° instead of rotating the back, or unless it's tilted to close to vertical. Thus, they may have concluded that 1/4" was sufficient for the 4x5. Unless you put the camera in extreme positions with heavy lenses, I'm not sure I'd worry about it.

Tachihara tripod mount

I used a 4x5 Tachihara very hard for ten years, and never had a problem with the tripod socket.

Tachihara tripod mount

According to Ron Wisner, a 1/4" tripod socket is fine for even a 20x24, and this is how he makes his 20x24's for the American market.

Tachihara tripod mount

KW,

The others are correct. A 1/4" screw can hold the largest and heaviest cameras made, and a good grade 1/4" bolt can probably hold a thousand pounds or more. The real issue is sideways, or shear force on a small fastener, and that's why large cameras and tripods have large plates - to prevent torque or sideways forces on a 1/4" screw. Given the light weight of your camera, this should not be an issue.

If it's really bugging you and you can stand using a quick release plate, I'd get one from Really Right Stuff that uses both holes. I use one of these on a Canham 8x10, to prevent any rotation of the QR plate. I'm assuming the 1/4" holes are an inch or two apart.

Thanks!

Steve

Tachihara tripod mount

FWIW, my Deardorff 8x10 is some 60 years old, was heavily used before I got it, and has been heavily used since I got it, and it has a 1/4"-20 mounting screw. It's a lot stronger than you might think. To that end, read this thread that I posted when I wasn't sure about the 1/4" screw on my 'Dorff.

Tachihara tripod mount

Many thanks for all your advice. Well, I guess I'm now more comfortable with the 1/4" tripod thread than before.

Tachihara tripod mount

Just to expand this a little more: I've got a 4x5 Calumet Wood Field (rebranded Tachihara!) Even with my heaviest lens, a 10" f/4.5 in a No. 4 shutter, the 4x5 is much lighter than my 35mm camera plus 300mm lens. The weight is also closer to the mount; the shorter moment arm makes the loads on the tripod screw even less. No worries here.