Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arca-Swiss C1 Cube

Arca-Swiss C1 Cube

Hi all,

I have an Arca-Swiss C1 Cube, which I love to use. It's an amazingly accurate fine-tuned piece of equipment. In fact, I am ordering quick release plates for my medium format and 35mm cameras. I have one problem with it. When I'm using my Fuji PA-145 holder and pull out the white numbered piece of "paper", often times, no matter how careful I am the Cube moves along it's horizontal (side-to-side) axis. Sometimes it even does it pulling out a film holder. I have the tension on both axes as tight as the dial will allow. I use an old Sinar P2 (4x5) and a newer Linhof Master Technika 3000. And with the Sinar, I don't take the Cube past 15 degrees in any direction, because the camera set-up weighs between 16 and 18 pounds. I'm not sure what the load capacity of the C1 is, but I'm not going to test it and ruin such an expensive piece of equipment. With the Linhof, I feel comfortable using the Cube freely.

My questions:

1- Is there a technique to pulling out the film holders or pulling out the instant film that I am not aware of? I am very careful. I hold the film holder when pulling out the instant film and hold the camera back as I pull out the film holders.

2- Is there another geared head that has this kind of accuracy and ease of use that locks down so that it can't be moved?

3- What is the load capacity of the C1? Can I use the Sinar set-up I described through the whole range of movements of the C1?

Thanks,

David

LJ Segil

Re: Arca-Swiss C1 Cube

Hi David,
    I was having similar problems to those you describe. I had my Cube adjusted by Bob Watkins of Precision Camera in Niles, IL, the national service center for Arca-Swiss, and it's been a joy since (now I just need my head adjusted). That said, I agree that the Cube cannot handle really heavy setups at marked displacements from horizontal without slipping, regardless of the tune up by Bob. It's just not rated for that kind of stress. I found a Bogen/Manfrotto 400 at a bargain price for the heavy lifting (referring either to the camera, or the 400 head itself which is a beast and needs heavy duty legs to match). Not portable like the Cube, but nothing moves it either. A different tool for a different job; I don't think the Cube can do it all, but on the other hand the camera/lens combinations that require the 400 aren't going far from the car (or basement) as the Cube and gear appropriate to it will easily do.
    Larry

I never process the film on camera. Just remove the holder first.

A bail back is really nice - the Sinar version for 4x5 isn't as convenient but effective. I have seen someone retrofit a bail to the Linhof I think, but can't find a link.

A good Sinar or Linhof pan-tilt head (no Yaw axis) is going to be the most solid head, not be as affected by dirt or abuse... just saying.

The only specifications for the Arca-Swiss cube I've seen say it is rated to hold 8x10 cameras ... no actual weight specified. The very similar Linhof 3D is specified for 22 lbs. on the B&H website. I doubt any weight you're likely to put on it would damage it. It just wouldn't be able to hold it in position.

FWIW I use a Korean clone made by PhotoClam called the multiflex. I haven't noticed any problem removing quickloads but that probably uses a lot less force than needed for instant film.

Jeff

The Linhof 3-D headhas self-locking tilt mechanisms so the head does not creep as you mentioned. The only locks on this head are on the two pan mechanisms.

Always remove the Polaroid holder first, even your camera is able to withstand the force; at the very least you won't risk shifting camera position accidentally.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I never process the film on camera. Just remove the holder first.
    +1 on this. You won't move the camera this way and it's easier to pull the film correctly, too. There is such a thing as good technique when pulling the film. I think I picked it up from some Clyde Butcher video originally, in which he describes it as holding the back in one hand and then using your other (dominant) hand, pulling the film straight back and out, as if one were drawing a bow string.

I sometimes process before I remove the back from the camera and sometimes not, depending on the situation and/or if I intend to shoot another frame. I would recommend always placing one hand on the film holder and using the other to draw out the film, as suggested above.

However, I have to admit that I'd expect more from such an expensive tripod head. Are you sure that the entire head isn't rotating on the tripod?

I'd love a Cube or the Linhof 3-d head, but they're not in my budget for now so I use a second-hand Linhof 3-way leveling head and it's solid as a rock. It's a very simple, reliable design. I can be as tough as I want and the thing doesn't shift unless I tell it to.

If it's not shifting where the head is mounted to the tripod, I'd send it in for service to Bob Watkins at Precision Camera Works as Larry suggested. It's the authorized Arca shop in the US and Bob really knows what he's doing.

I have had one since it was introduced.. There are tension adjustments an all three axes..