Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Classifieds?

Kevin Kolosky

Re: Classifieds?

How does it keep things more honest? Honesty is in the mind of the parties, not in the rule itself. What does this have to do with free market systems?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J. Kolosky View Post
    How does it keep things more honest? Honesty is in the mind of the parties, not in the rule itself.
    One example. There was just a thread about a guy trying to buy a lens. The seller took his offer to buy and shopped it around to other interested parties, looking for a higher offer.

What does this have to do with free market systems?
    Because you said "there should be no interference in private commerce between people that want to buy and people that want to sell" which smacks of free market ideology.

--Darin

Kevin Kolosky

Well, I am not going to argue political philosophy here. You have your ideas and I have mine. Nevertheless, if the rules state that people are to use the classifieds at their own risk, that implies a free market. The more rules one makes the more one impedes commerce. And as I stated before, most of the time the price isn't accepted anyway. Instead, a PM is sent making an offer, usually for a lower price. that certainly sounds like free market to me.

Its like a lot of other rules. In my opinion the exist to make things look what they aren't.

Lachlan 717

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here, but if you have to place a price on FS, why don't you have to add your maximum price in WTB threads?

Lighten up: add your FS price, haggle behind the scenes, then get on with shooting.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Well, I am not going to argue political philosophy here. You have your ideas and I have mine. Nevertheless, if the rules state that people are to use the classifieds at their own risk, that implies a free market. The more rules one makes the more one impedes commerce. And as I stated before, most of the time the price isn't accepted anyway. Instead, a PM is sent making an offer, usually for a lower price. that certainly sounds like free market to me.

Its like a lot of other rules. In my opinion the exist to make things look what they aren't.
    Kevin, the essence of this forum isn't about commerce or "free market" - it's about large format photography education. The classified section was created as a convenience to members. But, the forum software doesn't provide the "safeguards" usually associated with "auction" sites, so we require listings to have a stated price. What people choose to do privately with regard to transactions is, of course, up to them. Those actions, however, are not "sanctioned" by the forum management.

hacker extraordinaire

One example. There was just a thread about a guy trying to buy a lens. The seller took his offer to buy and shopped it around to other interested parties, looking for a higher offer.
    Is this considered unethical? I'm honestly wondering. I didn't know there was an ethical obligation to take less than the best price for an item, or an ethical limitation on asking for offers.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Kevin posted a price and still the moderators deleted his post.
    So I guess the rule in reality is not only "all the FS posts should include a price". It's also "if the moderator likes it, then it survives the delete button"

So looking from the other side, is not a violation of the rules to delete a post that listed a price?
    If the price is a joke, what is the definition of a serious price?

Kevin Kolosky

I agree. This is a forum for large format photography. I have not forgotten that.

However, large format photography is almost 100% practiced by adults. People who should be considered wise enough to take care of theirselves. People who have already been through the rigors of purchasing equipment and supplies, not to mention all of the other things that they require to live and survive in today's world.

So, a person here sees an ad that says "make an offer". If that person does not like to purchase equipment that way, the person ignors the ad and moves on to other things. However, if the person is intrigued by what is being offered for an offer he makes an offer, at his own risk as the rules provide, and perhaps he is able to purchase what he wants for a good deal.

In other words, those who don't like it don't have to use it. What is so damn hard about that.

I put $1,000,000 and $10,000,000 prices on my ads. They were removed. How is that any different than if I would have put $5,000 or $2000 or any amount that would not have attracted "OFFERS"? How is it any different from a price that would have attracted "Offers".

I will sell the stuff someplace else. No problem. But I feel sorry for those who cannot move past a post that they do not agree with but instead feel the need to make rules for everybody else who would like to trade that way.

FORUMS were started a long long time ago. One of their purposes was to seek the truth.
    I notice that here that is not the case. The moderators are always right even if they are wrong!!!!!!!!

This is a private forum, the rule for stating the selling price is clear, and yet you choose to break it. Then when warned that your post would be deleted if you didn't state the selling price you put in $10,000,000. Basically a big FU to the moderators, and now you seem upset.

Roger

Kevin Kolosky

Im not upset. I have no ill will toward anyone. If I would have wanted to say FU to the moderators I would have said FU to the moderators. I'm just seeking truth.

I have been told this is a "private" forum. By the way, who pays for it? Who really owns it? Is it a corporation? A partnership? A sole proprietor?

The original idea behind a forum (Roman) was an open discussion. Seems to me that if there are limitations on openness the "forum" really isn't a forum, but rather a controlled discourse.