Thread: Reversed writing on copy lens

Reversed writing on copy lens

So just out of curiosity why is the writing on my Kodak 21" copy lens ring reversed so you can read it in a mirror?

Re: Reversed writing on copy lens

Because it was used with a right-angled mirror (to protect the lens from whatever was being photographed). I was also thinking the mirror might allow photographing in a tighter space -- if the camera bellow length and the distance to the what ever was being photographed was longer than the room...but this is just a guess!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I suspect it is very rare and valuable, having once belonged to Leonardo Da Vinci.

funkadelic

I once saw that same type lens listed in an Ebay auction, where the seller described it as being of Russian origin, but she didn't speak the language, so she couldn't translate (she didn't realize it was backwards).
    You will be happy to know that lens has LOTS of coverage. I am eagerly awaiting some new lensboards so I can test how well it covers 12x20.

But I have an earlier version that doesn't have the reverse reading. I guess there was some urgent need to read the lens through a mirror. Hmmm.

Those lenses had a prism, not a mirror. Used to correct photostats and such, internegatives that would o/w be reversed, etc., on a large copy/process/graphic arts camera. Lenses made for other uses would have the normal lettering.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Because it was used with a right-angled mirror (to protect the lens from whatever was being photographed). I was also thinking the mirror might allow photographing in a tighter space -- if the camera bellow length and the distance to the what ever was being photographed was longer than the room...but this is just a guess!
    I think it's for making positive non-reversed prints.

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    I am eagerly awaiting some new lensboards so I can test how well it covers 12x20.
    Chris:

It covers well; you'll be pleased with it. At one time, I had a boxful of these type of lenses - 19+", 18+", 17+" (I forget the fractional values). I had the idea that having all these lenses would come in handy when it came to composition. Ultimately, I decided that was a stupid idea - it's easier to just pick up the camera and move it.

BTW, I had an older lens, marked "Kodak Anastigmat", which turned out to be absolutely identical (same barrel & iris dimensions) to the process lens.

Charley

So you can read it through a reversing prism.
    I have a 13" version of this lens, it seems to cover 8x10 well enough to contact print. Interestingly, the writing on mine is normal and it came with an OEM prism.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

My Ilex .229 copy Paragon has reversed writing and a fantastic blue hue. I use it on an 8x10 Elwood enlarger but it is qute a nice taking lens as well. It's not a bad investment for $20!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White