Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera simulator

Camera simulator

You've seen this online simulation of a 35mm SLR camera right?
    Now if there was only a similar simulator for LF which showed movements . . .

Re: Camera simulator

Wow, that's actually really cool - it covers a lot of considerations for shooting a typical 35mm camera.

Sadly, I know of nothing like it for LF, so I don't have anything helpful to contribute, but thanks for posting that.

I thought a DSLR was an SLR simulator

Perhaps one of our intrepid computer gurus on this site could help! The perfect LF camera simulator would be an iphone-type app that not only show the effects of various movements but also various focal length lenses, and bellows extensions, and the results on exposure times etc.Now THAT would be REALLY cool

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    Perhaps one of our intrepid computer gurus on this site could help! The perfect LF camera simulator would be an iphone-type app that not only show the effects of various movements but also various focal length lenses, and bellows extensions, and the results on exposure times etc.Now THAT would be REALLY cool
    LF simulator is a great idea, but on that tiny screen, it'll be useless or worse. You'd need a decent size monitor to really see what movements do, say 8 x 10 inches or so.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    LF simulator is a great idea, but on that tiny screen, it'll be useless or worse. You'd need a decent size monitor to realy see what movements do, say 8 x 10 inches or so.
    You're right. So it has to fit on a computer laptop monitor. That's good enough.

So, who will volunteer to program this!

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    Nothing can beat the intuitiveness you gain with hands on manipulation of a real LF camera. What you would learn on a simulator is not applicable in LF praxis where you don't input with the help of virtual buttons. The complexity of such a simulator would kill its purpose. Just my weak opinion.

I think a simulator would be valuable.
    Someone could see just what movements can do - for example to prevent that building falling backwards, or to bring a tabletop shot at a 45 degree angle at half lifesize into sharp focus. There can be no substitute for hands on experience and the intuition gained therefrom, but it (simulator) might draw someone new to LF use.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Actually, I think I've got the idea. CameraSim is an Adobe Flash app, and all you really need is a little model to move around with a "hand." You would look at the GG separately.

Shift and rise of course are easy. The effects of tilt are also easy. What you'd have to get "right" is the focus plane.

I find an 8x10 box of FP4+ to be an excellent camera stimulator.

Whoops...never mind...