Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jobo 4x5 development

Re: Jobo 4x5 development

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    Even if the reel fits, you need the internal mechanism that prevents the reel from rotating within the spinning drum. You will need to pony up for the Jobo.
    So, Jerold.....regarding the combo of the 2509N and the 2551 on a Unicolor motor base...

Does the 2509N freely spin inside the drum when the latter is spinning or is it fixed? And the other question is whether I would need the retainer panels when using the above method?

Avi

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    This is all very interesting, but I happen to like the Jobo base.... Maybe it isn't cheaper, but the nice temp control and tempering bath all work very nice. I wish they were still available.. and less expensive. I think that money is quite unimportant when it comes to photography. Just look at any of the threads where they ask how many cameras do you have, or how many lenses do you carry. We all have the disease (or, apparently almost all of us) and its best to just give in, and then you get back to some shooting.... ;-)

Lenny
    Lenny,

How i wish I could do that. But photography does not pay me (neither do I want it to), so I need to watch my finances. But yes.....I do have that contagious disease that we all seem to! But its a fun disease to contract.!

Avi

Quote Originally Posted by psychoanalyst View Post
    So, Jerold.....regarding the combo of the 2509N and the 2551 on a Unicolor motor base...

Does the 2509N freely spin inside the drum when the latter is spinning or is it fixed? And the other question is whether I would need the retainer panels when using the above method?

Avi
    There is a "core" piece of plastic tubing that goes through the reel or reels (different length depending on the tank) and secures into the light trap funnel on the top and interlocks with the tank on the bottom to keep it from spinning, and also is a part of the light trap. I did accidentally leave it out once with the 2509 and didn't notice any problems and no fogging, but I think I was lucky.

Is it too late to put in a suggestion for BTZS tubes? I find these very easy to use for 4x5 film development. There are no moving parts, the process is easy and thrifty on chemicals, and the setup costs around $150 new.

If I didn't have the Jobo I'd probably go with BTZS myself, at least for black and white, ESPECIALLY if I didn't want to spring for a processor.

If my Jobo broke I'd get another, but if money is at a premium the BTZS tubes are a very viable alternative.

Given the stated budget constraints, BTZS tubes are a great option. Relative to Jobo gear, BTZS tubes are essentially free, even f purchased new.

You can process upto 6 sheets per round, each with a unique development time. They are easy to load. You can do much of the processing in daylight

If you are really trying to go cheap on gear, check our a slosher tray from Photographer's Formulary. It allows you to process 1-6 sheets in an 11x14 tray.

Quote Originally Posted by chassis View Post
    Is it too late to put in a suggestion for BTZS tubes? I find these very easy to use for 4x5 film development. There are no moving parts, the process is easy and thrifty on chemicals, and the setup costs around $150 new.
    Yes...that is an option too....but I managed to track down 2 of 3 parts required for the roller processing (I have an offer for the Unidrum and the 2551 Jobo tank and still looking for the 2509N reel) and so far the costs seem under $200 for all 3.

I did check the BTZS tube, but I do like the "automation" of the motor base method. But I guess that BTZS allows for more experimentation with development times.

And of course the fact that temperature control would be easier in BTZS and I do intend to do E-6 processing.

Ahh......choices!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    Given the stated budget constraints, BTZS tubes are a great option. Relative to Jobo gear, BTZS tubes are essentially free, even f purchased new.

You can process upto 6 sheets per round, each with a unique development time. They are easy to load. You can do much of the processing in daylight

If you are really trying to go cheap on gear, check our a slosher tray from Photographer's Formulary. It allows you to process 1-6 sheets in an 11x14 tray.
    Jerold,

The sloshers look nice...in fact I can easily build one myself. But I would like a daylight system.

Avi

BTZS tubes would not work for E-6.

A slosher has some advantages. It has 6 individual compartments and fits in an 11x14 inch tray. So you can drop each sheet in at a different time if you need to. Likelihood of scratching is minimal. Once the slosher is moved to the fixer tray, you can turn the room lights on so it is not too much time in the dark.

If you have a bunch of film to process, you can just rinse off the slosher and put it back in the developer tray - no need to dry anything. You can process a lot of film quickly.

A slosher is the least expensive option at $60. It has only one part, nothing to break or fail, no electricity, easy temp control, option to try stand development if you like.

Down sides are developing in the dark, moremsink space needed for the trays, larger volume of developer needed.

If you are emphasizing budget, I would at least give a slosher tray a shot. They are easy to resell if you don't like it.

Jerold,

It definitely is the cheapest option.......in fact I am going to build one from acrylic sheets over the week...

I have 8x10 trays, so I am going to start with something I can fit inside that. Even 3 sheets at a time is just fine.

Can the chemistry be reused? Because I would imagine that a slosher would require a ton of chemistry?

Also....this might create a problem for E-6 processing because (i) I planned to buy the cheap low volume kits and (ii) maintaining temperature across such a large volume might be a problem?

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions. Atleast I know what is out there and can make a proper choice.

Avi