Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jobo 4x5 development

Re: Jobo 4x5 development

thanks jerold...

Put in a WTB for the 2553.....no responses yet...will wait and see...

so is the unicolor drum a complete no no?

Avi

Roger...so the 2551 is long enough to run on the Beseler/Unicolor drum?

Yes...the Atlanta folks should definitely meet. I have another friend who is currently away in Germany, who is also a photo enthusiast......will have to work out time, since I am busy with my thesis currently.

Quote Originally Posted by psychoanalyst View Post
    Roger...so the 2551 is long enough to run on the Beseler/Unicolor drum?

Yes...the Atlanta folks should definitely meet. I have another friend who is currently away in Germany, who is also a photo enthusiast......will have to work out time, since I am busy with my thesis currently.
    I don't know. I doubt it. The 2551 is pretty short, but it's been years since I've seen a roller base.

Ok, I just went down to the basement darkroom with iPhone and beverage in hand to shoot a few quick digisnaps to illustrate the size.

The first one shows the 2523 and 2553 side by side with the bottle beside them for size comparison.

The second shows the different lids. The one on the left is the cog lid for use with a lift accesory. You can still find the cogs (sometimes) and convert a regular lid to a cog lid, but the cog snaps permanently in place and you can't remove it. The lid on the right is the one you'd use for a processor without a lift (with a magnet on the other end of the tank, not shown) or for inversion or with a roller base. The orange lid snaps on the opening. I lightened and lowered the contrast to try to show some detail in the all black lids.

The final photo is the 2509n reel on the loader base. The guide on the left clicks into place. You rotate the reel and count the clicks. A click means it's lined up with the next slot and you slide the sheet in through the guide. It's easier to do or demonstrate than describe. To me it's easier (understatement) than loading the reel without it, but I'm out numbered 2:1 in this thread.

Roger, thanks....I checked on other threads and it appears that the 2551 is the smallest you can go with the uniroller.

Btw.....can I use the same technique (jobo+motor base method) for both color and BW? what would the processing differences be apart from the chemistry of course.

Thanks.

Avi

Roger, thanks....I checked on other threads and it appears that the 2551 is the smallest you can go with the uniroller.

Btw.....can I use the same technique (jobo+motor base method) for both color and BW? what would the processing differences be apart from the chemistry of course.

Thanks.

Avi
    Don't see why not. I use them on the CPE2 for both black and white and color. You won't, however, get the water bath temperature control.

Thanks Roger....

So, I am trying to do some cost optimization here. I wonder if a jobo 4x5 reel would fit inside a unicolor drum, so that I can use the latter in lieu of the way more expensive jobo 2551?

Avi

I have a Unicolor 11x14 print drum and a 2502 Duo-reel (same circumference as the 2509N -I beleive). The Unicolor drum has two raised grooves that block the reel from going inside.

Thanks Roger....
    I wonder if a jobo 4x5 reel would fit inside a unicolor drum, so that I can use the latter in lieu of the way more expensive jobo 2551?
    Avi
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Thanks Roger....

So, I am trying to do some cost optimization here. I wonder if a jobo 4x5 reel would fit inside a unicolor drum, so that I can use the latter in lieu of the way more expensive jobo 2551?

Avi
    Even if the reel fits, you need the internal mechanism that prevents the reel from rotating within the spinning drum. You will need to pony up for the Jobo.

Color requires more careful temperature control. Some chemistry kits are more forgiving than others. Some use the pas by method in which they account for a given temperature drop over the minutes of processing and shoot for the average. In other words, after some experimentation, start a few degrees hot and finish a few degrees cool.

For B&W, I use the RH Designs Processmaster time with a temperature probe which adjusts the time of the timer based on the measured temperature. Since I cannot put the temp probe inside a Sinning Jobo drum, I use the small single reel drum. I fill it with water stored in the same tempering bath as my developer so that it's temperature change simulates the change in the processing drum. I have no way to verify that it works other than the results which are consistent. My temps don't vary widely though.

This is all very interesting, but I happen to like the Jobo base.... Maybe it isn't cheaper, but the nice temp control and tempering bath all work very nice. I wish they were still available.. and less expensive. I think that money is quite unimportant when it comes to photography. Just look at any of the threads where they ask how many cameras do you have, or how many lenses do you carry. We all have the disease (or, apparently almost all of us) and its best to just give in, and then you get back to some shooting.... ;-)

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing