Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jobo 4x5 development

Jobo 4x5 development

Hello All,

I finally ready to move on from my pathetic dip and dunk setup. I was using Silicon wafer boats (sorry I am a microelectronics geek) to load the films, but they are frustratingly difficult to load in the dark. Besides, those boats are designed for 4" silicon wafers that are rigid. The 4x5 sheets tend to stick to one another unless they are reasonably space apart and that can be a problem in the dark.

Tray development is not for me.

I saw a video of the Jobo 4x5 reel drum and really loved it. But looks like there are a zillion models.

I was hoping for some recommendations. I am looking for an all manual tank as the automated processors are way beyond my shoestring student budget.

I am happy as long as I can process 4-5 sheets at once, so I am not really looking for high throughput either.

It will be used for both B&W as well as E-6/C-41 color (I have HP5+ as well as Velvia 50) 4x5.

Thanks a lot.

Avi

Re: Jobo 4x5 development

The 3010 drums have 10 internal tubes for 4x5.

The 3006 tubes have 6 slots for 4x5 or 5x7.

The 2500 series tanks can be used with the 4x5 reels. Those kits are cheaper but a little more fiddly.

Any of the drums can be used manually, either on the Jobo manual roller base or more simply on a Unicolor or Beseler electric roller base.

I have the 2900n reels with the associated 2500 series tanks, a 2523 (actually two of them) that can take one 2509n reel with six sheets of 4x5, and a 2553 which can take two reels so I can do 12 sheets at once.

It's possible to load the 2509n reels without the loader base accessory but I'm kind of a klutz once I turn the lights off and wouldn't want to do it that way. With the loader base it's quite easy. Easier, in fact, than the plastic Jobo roll film reels which are pretty easy themselves and WAY easier than the SS reels that most people swear by but I never really liked or got the hang of.

I use mine on a Jobo CPE2 processor but you don't have to. You can't, however, just roll it on the table unless you use a lot more solution because the tilt from the lid would really mess up the solution level. You'd need the Jobo manual base (crops up on the 'bay from time to time) or one of the roller bases mentioned above or, if you're handy, you could probably make something.

Thanks a lot folks. Looks like I will be putting up a WTB on the forum.

Have either of you tried the Unicolor or Beseler roll drums instead of the Jobo...the Jobo looks nice and pretty but is also quite expensive, even for the low end model like the 2509N.

But thanks for the tip on the electric roller base.

Avi

I use the 2509n reels and tanks. I have no issue loading them without the guide. I honestly think the guide would piss me off!

Greg Blank on here can get them new or e bay has them all over. I have a CPE2+ so I use both the short and long tanks. If you plan to use a roller base i think you would wnat the longer tank so that it fits easier.

With 2, 2509n reels in a large tank you get 12 exposures at once; one reel 6 exposures. I paid about $250 for my reel set up of 2 reels, short tank, long tank. I think now I would have been netter off to spend $500ish and get the expert drum to hold 10. I use the expert drum for 810 and love it.

For 810 the expert drums are much better than any other option. For 45 the expert drums really shine in that they are so much faster to load and there are less parts to keep up with. My darkroom time is very limited so if I can save 10 min loading reels that is a good thing.

The atlanta folks should meet up one Sat afternoon....
    david

I used the 2509 reels for quite a while before I lucked into a 3010. I found that the best way to get optimum results was to only load five sheets. I don't know if it was just me (very likely) or a flaw in the design, but I got inconsistent development if all six films were loaded. And I agree with David. The guides just pissed me off.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I have a Unicolor 8x10 tank I could sell you.

That said, I think the thing would be better off in the trash. It's hard to find something that will keep the sheets from overlapping (I used binder clips, which mostly worked, except when they didn't). This one doesn't leak, yet.

I would highly recomend you keep your eye out for a Chromega drum. Some Chromega drums are labeled "Bessler" but the actual Bessler drums are different (and crappier). The chromega drums are rarer, but they are much easier to load, and the inserts (you have to make sure you have the inserts!!) are very positive in the way they lock the film in. Besslers are terrible in my opinion, very hard to load. Unicolors are just slightly better. Chromegas are actually "good".

A 2553 tank takes two reels, and lets you process 12 sheets at a time.
    I've used that for the last three years and would not want anything else.

Thanks folks.....I read about the issues with films overlapping in Unidrums.....so the best solution might be to get a Uniroller/Beseler base and use maybe a Jobo 2509N drum?

What is a good price for the unidrum alone you think?

Ari..thanks for the suggestion, but anything that can process more than 5-6 sheets at once is way overkill for me....I am looking for the smallest system (minimizing chemistry usage I guess) that can process 4x5.

Thanks a ton folks.

Avi

chromega dude. cheap and good. you just have to hunt for them.