Thread: Hi all, New Hampshire here

sagesmoke

Hi all, New Hampshire here

Been on and off in 4x5 for some years now but am trying again and thought I'd join up here and say hi.
    I do have a question, sorry if it's under the wrong topic but I have an inkling to image some bridges around New England for a pet project of mine. Question is, should I use my Crown Graphic or my Graphic View II? Portability isn't an issue since the locations are near where we can park. Would the View's movements be of use in this type of situation or should I stick with the Crown's simplicity?
    BTW, my lenses are interchangeable for both.
    Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker
    - Linus Van Pelt

David Schaller

Re: Hi all, New Hampshire here

The Crown has very limited movements. Although I've never used a Graphic View, I bet you would appreciate the ability to make some movements that would be difficult or impossible to make with a Crown.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Schaller View Post
    The Crown has very limited movements. Although I've never used a Graphic View, I bet you would appreciate the ability to make some movements that would be difficult or impossible to make with a Crown.
    Dave
    Agreed....a back swing comes in handy if you have to shoot from awkward angles. Which you usually do. You can get by with front swing, but back seems to work better.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

sagesmoke

Thanks for the quick replies. That's kinda what I was thinking but have never done any architectural stuff. Plus, I've never used the view outside of my own yard as I thought it was rather heavy and bulky to be taking on forays and I didn't really know alot about them to be tinkering out in the field with. But what the heck, I might as well take the plunge.
    - Linus Van Pelt

Glad to see another large format shooter in NH. Welcome to the forum. I've hiked with the Graphic View, but it wasn't much fun. For close shots of bridges that would be my choice of your two cameras. One issue with the graphic view is the limited ability for wide angle lenses. Other than that it's movements work very well.

Consider the rigidity of the crown as an asset. If the camera is leveled on the tripod, I've found that the rising front is all you need. This is especially useful in windy conditions when my favorite 3 pound field camera is just too light. But like is already stated, limited movements are the price...you have both view and press gear, so take both. Covered bridges are always "near" roads, so tot'n n fetch'n won't be much of an issue. Have fun, should be into foliage color season, go shoot some postcard shots. Out here, we settle for hot air balloon fiesta week (ending this weekend).

sagesmoke

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    Glad to see another large format shooter in NH. Welcome to the forum. I've hiked with the Graphic View, but it wasn't much fun. For close shots of bridges that would be my choice of your two cameras. One issue with the graphic view is the limited ability for wide angle lenses. Other than that it's movements work very well.
    Thanks for the welcome. I have to agree about hiking with a monorail - just doesn't sound that appealing as I do try to ENJOY shooting LF.
    I didn't know about the wide angle lens issue, though (due to bellows draw?) - as I tend to shoot subject matter closer-up and I just can't afford them yet. My widest lens is an old 90mm but I haven't used it for ages (think it came on my first speed graphic). I stick to my Caltar 210 these days but may need to go shopping since my shooting habits are changing.
    - Linus Van Pelt

sagesmoke

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Suderman View Post
    Consider the rigidity of the crown as an asset. If the camera is leveled on the tripod, I've found that the rising front is all you need. This is especially useful in windy conditions when my favorite 3 pound field camera is just too light. But like is already stated, limited movements are the price...you have both view and press gear, so take both. Covered bridges are always "near" roads, so tot'n n fetch'n won't be much of an issue. Have fun, should be into foliage color season, go shoot some postcard shots. Out here, we settle for hot air balloon fiesta week (ending this weekend).
    I have to agree that the crown is solid as a rock on a tripod, and even in the stripped-down condition I have it in it's still fairly hefty for it's size. I think I read a story somewhere about someone who set up a wooden 8x10 on a tripod, turned around to find something and a puff of wind came up and toppled it over - just makes me cringe.
    I think you're right, I'll take both and judge on location which is better. I'd love to shoot some color but processing/printing always seems to be an issue. Anyone know of a lab that still does that?
    We have a small ballon festival in town annually around the 4th of July with 4-5 ballons so I can just imagine being down there at the premire balloon event in the country (world?). have fun!
    - Linus Van Pelt