Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for Quality Step-up Rings

Source for Quality Step-up Rings

I have six Schneider lenses for my 4x5 which have front element threads in sizes from 49mm up to 105mm. All of my round filters are 105mm. I have put together a hodgepodge collection of step-up rings that allow me to use my filters with each of my lenses. However, they are mostly generic brands of poor quality, some of which I can hardly screw into my lenses and filters. The one Schneider step-up ring that I have works beautifully.

I would like to find Schneider step-up rings in all the sizes I need. (I also hear Heliopan's rings are very good as well.) I know both Schneider and Heliopan make rings in each of the sizes that I need, but for the life of me, I cannot find them. I have tried all of my usual sources (B&H, Adorama, etc.) and have had no luck.

Does anyone out there know of any source for what I am looking for? Special order waiting times are not a problem. Thanks.

Try 2filter.com, they claim they can special order any size of Schneider.

Harrison and Harrison have, or will make, step-up rings, I believe.

www.harrison-filters.com

I wouldn't be surprised, if SK Grimes might not be faster than special ordering from Heliopan, and the price may be comparable.

I'll also recommend The Filter Connection (aka 2filter.com). I've bought step-up rings from them several times and the service has always been great. They carry several brands and carry a wide range of stock sizes. Some sizes have to come from the manufacturer - but even there the turnaround was good.

Jeff, go for Heliopan. They always use solid brass which is better screwabel at any temperature. The other Manufacturers (including B&W / Schneider) have different quality levels and make as well rings of sticky aluminum.

Thanks, Bill and Thilo. I went to "The Filter Connection" and found Heliopan rings in just the sizes I need. The only down side is that the estimated delivery is 12-16 weeks out. Ouch! Oh well, I've been tolerating the junky rings I am now using for a couple of years now, so I guess a few more months won't kill me. Thanks again.

I've purchased a couple of step rings from Teamwork in the UK. They are Heliopan Adapter Rings, good quality product. Jeff, details at http://www.teamworkphoto.co.uk/heliopan.html (you need to get down the page a bit to get to the step rings). They might be able to deliver in less than 16 weeks. My stuff they had in stock.

"estimated delivery is 12-16 weeks out"

No, if we do not have rings in stock in NJ delivery would be about 4 weeks from the date of the dealer's order.

Another source is SRB at http://www.srbfilm.co.uk/index1.html.