Page 77 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Thread: how old are we?

Re: how old are we?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    As of tomorrow I will have traveled 50,229,079,762 miles...
    With a pack containing large format gear on your back the whole time?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    As of tomorrow I will have traveled 50,229,079,762 miles around the sun. It has taken a lot of years.
    I was given my first 4x5 camera in 1938.
    Jim! So what year was the first picture OF YOU taken? hmm?? Congrats Sir! You've certainly earned the right to tell me what-for

I will be 47 in April. At least it's a prime number. I would've said I started in LF just mid 2013 with the gift of a Busch Pressman D from an older friend who thinks I'm nuts for doing chemical photography, but I rediscovered some 4x5 negs and contact prints from a class for kids from 1977 when I was 9. Turns out that the reason I didn't like them was I missed instruction to print them emulsion to emulsion and printed through the paper base! 38 years later I finally printed them right, they look much better. I used film from my early teens with an Olympus OM-1 35mm and 50mm f1.8 that I still have. I even did some of my own darkroom work. In the last couple of years I've used some 8x10 film and printing paper older than I am (expired in the 50's). It sort of works. Despite having built or almost built a v2 of an 8x10 and camera, I think I'm heading primarily into 5x7 and contact prints/scans. LONG LIVE CHEMICAL PHOTOGRAPHY!

I was 47 when this thread started....moving onwards to 61 next Oct. - still walking, talking, wrenching my 30 yr. old 944 to take my mind off stuff. My lovely wife and I still have 18 of the 48 NH 4000+ footers to go...can do this...can do this (the trick is to start out really slow). Reconstructed website almost live! Future of L-45A...who knows? New L-57A modification - works great! Live in Vt./25 acres, most good mix of hardwoods, w/3acres open - would love to just be a hermit here sometimes! Built a new facility last year - my 11th (and hopefully final) darkroom, plus studio/gallery/workroom. Doing 20x30's, moving towards 30x40's (with diy horiz. enlarger) this spring - very exciting! Kids doing great...but live too far away (Pittsburgh, Santa Clara, Shenzen, China) - we miss them! Finally stopped teaching after so many years...last gig ended when college closed its doors. Mixed blessing? (might teach out of my facility though). Trying to get back into galleries after almost 20 years of not doing this - feels weird and awkward to do this, but I really don't have a choice...because this is what I do, and my path is very clear to me now - finally!

Hit 67 two weeks ago. Personally, I would suggest you don't go over 50, just say "no".

The alternative to not hitting 67 is quite grim. My recommendation is to not try to avoid it.

Only the good die young.

I plan to live forever...
    Tin Can

I have decided to skip from 68 years-old to 70 this month
    because I would rather be 70 twice than 69 once.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I have decided to skip from 68 years-old to 70 this month
    because I would rather be 70 twice than 69 once.
    69 is the best number?!!

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

actually 77 is the best number because you get eight more,
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"