Page 50 of 96 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: how old are we?

Re: how old are we?

57 now.

Started with 35mm in 1967, MF in 1968 and a Speed Graphic about a year later.

On and off since then. Took wonderful family photographs with MF and LF when my kids were young. Went digital mostly to do sports photographs of my kids about 10 years ago. Unloaded almost all the film cameras "before they completely lost their value" about 7 years ago. Moved and sold the unused darkroom gear about 5 years ago. Then, of course, I've ended up buying it all back again. Now 2 Deardorffs, a Chamonix, lots of MF cameras, 35mm and digital. The good news is that all the film gear has gotten so cheap I can have everything I lusted over as a teenager. Crazy how cheap much of it has gotten. I bought a perfect condition Bessler 45 enlarger with 3 lenses a few weeks back for $250.

Looking at Flickr it is my impression that film is making a huge come back. But what is "film" and what is "digital"? After all I'm seeing all this wonderful film work as a digital image on my screen.

Has anyone noticed that real photo paper is cheaper than the paper for photo printers? A chemical B&W print probably costs 1/3 what a digital print costs in ink and paper.

It's all good.

56. Started 35mm in 1967 - we called it miniture format. 2 1/4 in 1968. I was told by my dad it was small format. Got a sinar in 1972. Back then it was medium format. Never turned back. I must agree with Aslee52. Things are so cheap. I bought a Beseler with Arista VCL 4500 and fully loaded with carriers and lenses for so little I am embarrassed to say. And it was like new. I now buy lenses I only dreamed of way back when. Have not really printed digital so I have no idea what the cost is. I don't believe I will ever leave big film. I enjoy my 8x10 Sinar F the most.

19. I started shooting photos at 15 and started shooting 4x5 about a year and a half ago. I'm shooting mostly 35mm with an M2 and some other Leica gear, MF with a Rolleiflex and some other assorted TLR's and shooting 4x5 with my Tachihara. I use all of them and they compliment each other perfect. I don't see myself ever setting down my cameras.

working now mostly with 4x5 and 8x10.

I'm in for the long haul

-Dan

47 started LF at age 13 in 1976 working with an 8x10 Sinar in my uncle's studio. I didn't get my own 4x5 until 1981.

34, is there a relation between age and diagonals :-)

19, just started lf photography. Looks like there is a few younguns, any in the UK fancy a meet?

Photograsaurus Rex

I'm not too far behind Patrick, but i'm 27 and aging quick.
    Been shooting since i was 14-15, but only recently caught the L.F. bug. Looks like it'll be the end of me.
    lol

In month I´m 24. With LF since 12/2009.
    Stanislav Kolarik _ PHOTOGRAPHY
    Your sheet is black. It's exposed correctly? ___ Yes, it's my autoportrait in darkroom...

Holy necro-posting Batman! A thread stared in 2002, last active in August, resurrected yet again.

Well being relatively new to the group it might be interesting to go through this thread and see which regulars may have posted, but I've no time for that now so I'll just answer the question: I'm 47. I wasn't really sure when I got into LF, as I've been out of it for at least eight years now. I had been thinking it was the mid 90s, but I checked the dates on some negative envelopes - 1997. I might have started LF in 1996 but I'm not sure.