Page 47 of 96 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: how old are we?

Re: how old are we?

I'm 38. Got into photography about 5 years ago ... a bit later than most. Got bitten by the MF bug late last year and quickly progressed on to LF. So I have only 6 months experience in the latter. At some point I hope to pickup my Nikon D90 again! Just that there's no comparison to a well exposed and processed LF negative/slide. Bliss!

20, but it seems to increase by every 365 days or so.
    Started out with LF (4x5, 9x12) this year, but have been doing 35mm and medium format (6x7/6x6) for two to three years now, and I enjoy it tremendously.

37 here, and i only started with my current line of work 2 years ago (Fashion photography mainly but also a lot of textile).

I did a stint with medium format (Rb67) and film cameras back when i was 14-15 but stopped due to cost of materials.

C:a 20 years later i got my first digital camera and got back into the photography madness. Now i shoot LF (4x5), Medium format (6x7, 6x45, 6x6) and digital 35mm.

And i enjoy every second of it

Funny how this thread keeps popping up. I am a year or two older now...

I'm 27 and I've been using LF for all of 2 weeks now (loving every moment of it too). I've been behind some kind of a lens on and off for about 11 years and have been running a portrait/wedding studio for the last two years in addition to my day job.

27? I.ve got Wratten Filters older then that and I bought them new!!

69 . . . no comments . . seriously, the great thing is . . .
    1 No more expensive purchases for this LF hobby! Make do with what I have got. I can't use what I have got properly anyway.
    2 I have about 8-10 years of carrying power left. Suddenly an immediate trip to Ankor Wat makes sense.
    3 I think I have a plethora of world class negs that I have overlooked. So I can print until 85 years of age.
    4. I can bathe in selenium without worrying about the consequences.
    5. I don't have to worry about the permanence of my prints.
    6. I don't have to worry if I will become a brilliant photographer. . .I won't.

I have it made!

Well, I have half a mind!

Still 50................

I'm 53. Been doing photography off and on since I was about 10. I have been doing large format for about 20 years, including 4x5 and 8x10. I've worked in other formats also, including 6x6. I taught photography in an American high school for about 15 years and it darn near ruined photography for me. At first, it was a class with interested students and a reasonable number in the class- about 20. I once had a class with 5 'special education' kids (kids destined for a sheltered workshop) and they were fantastic. Some kids of that ilk really shine with learned processes and picked up developing and printing quickly. Few of them could write with any fluency *but* they could take pictures of their world, make a collage and verbally tell the story of their life and times. It was great... As time went on, it became a dumping ground for kids who really didn't want to be anywhere and the 'good' kids avoided the class.

I'm trying to get cranked up again. The dearth of color processing centers doesn't really concern me. As long as there is one usable B&W film and one usable piece of paper and bulk chemicals of all types are available, I'm good to go.

Don't care about digital although I realize that it is really is the way to go for snapshots and for professional profit. You're welcome to do it.

It may get down to me, Weston, an 8x10 camera and contact printing and that is fine with me.

Jeff

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by jbenedict View Post
    It may get down to me, Weston, an 8x10 camera and contact printing and that is fine with me. Jeff
    Fine with you? Some people would call this heaven on earth!!
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain