Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noticed something with my 8x10 Fidelity Elite film holders...

Noticed something with my 8x10 Fidelity Elite film holders...

While playing with my new Photobackpacker 8x10 holder (awesome, by the way), I noticed something about my Fidelity Elite holders that I never did before. These holders are only a couple of years old, and I don't know if they've been this way since new, or if they've warped.

Looking down at the top edge of the holder where the dark slides go, the plastic frame appears to bow outward on both sides so that if I pinch the center of the top edge of the holder with or without film or darkslides, the frames on each side can be moved inward about 1/8". There is an obvious outward bowing of the upper frame. All six of mine are the same.

If anybody else has these holders, would you let me know if this is normal, or whether I need to worry about light leaks on them. Last time I used my 8x10 was in Jan/Feb this year and I didn't have any issues then, but I was shooting indoors. I haven't had the 8x10 outside since I moved to Indianapolis, and they live is a soft-sided cooler at all times, when shooting or when in the closet here in the house. As far as I know, they've never been subjected to excessive heat.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Re: Noticed something with my 8x10 Fidelity Elite film holders...

some of mine did that. I don't know what caused(s) it, but I know that I didn't have any light-leak problems with mine. I bought them used(well used too), but they served me well.

Keep them in the cooler/bag until shooting time(somewhere as "light-tight" as possible), and put the holder back in the box/bag once done. Quick as possible. For me its just a matter of habit...

but then again, I don't leave my holders out in broad blaring sunlight either. Film(and paper) is too expensive to do extensive "testing". I just try to work around it, even if I don't expect there's light-leak problems.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    Keep them in the cooler/bag until shooting time(somewhere as "light-tight" as possible), and put the holder back in the box/bag once done. Quick as possible. For me its just a matter of habit...

but then again, I don't leave my holders out in broad blaring sunlight either.-Dan
    Thanks for the response.

I treat mine like that, too, and even keep the holders in foiled anti-static bags within the cooler during storage and transport. I'm just concerned that during the brief times that the holder is exposed to direct sun, that I may have a problem. If yours are this way and you've experienced no issues, then I'll just be a little more careful the next few times out until I see if there's a problem or not.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

I treated mine very carefully and one of them warped, seemingly of its own accord, and developed a light-leak. I had to tape it up. I bought a Chamonix holder to replace it. Very expensive, tho'.

Thanks for the comment, Rory. This isn't a good sign. I wonder if there is any warranty on these Fidelity Elites. Probably past it anyway. I'm not even sure if they're made any more, although they're still for sale everywhere.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Well, the good news is that electrical tape around the edges worked. I was wondering if I was the only one experiencing the problem. In any case, it seems to be rare. Good luck!

All US-made plastic holders bow like that, even 4X5s and even new out of the box. It is more noticeable on the 8X10s but does not mean that there will be any light leaks.

Rory,

Thanks for the tape tip in case I need it.

Neal,

I just can't believe I never noticed it before. It's good to know that light leaks aren't gusranteed. Thanks.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Your experience is exactly the reason I do not use them. I use older wooden holders with metal caps where the dark slides go in. I have never had a light leak with them.

Do the Toyo holders do the same thing?
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ