Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there any use for all of these old holders?

Is there any use for all of these old holders?

A few years ago after the death of my grandfather, the famous lens designer and astronomer James Baker, I was given his old Graflex camera and a bunch of accessories that were in the case. So I have a bunch of old holders that I assume are obsolete but I thought I would ask if they would be of any conceivable use before I toss them.

1) Three Graflex 4x5 Graphic Press Plate Holders. I don't know how old these are but they look brand new and appear to be made of wood and metal. The price is still on the box...$7.15!

2) Graphic Film Pack Adapter (Cat. No. 1234)

3) Polaroid Land Film Holder #500

4) Polaroid Land Camera Back, Series One Hundred Film Pack Adapter

5) Two Polaroid 545 Land Film Holders. Strangely, the instructions on the back of the holders are in english on one and german on the other.

Re: Is there any use for all of these old holders?

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Beckenbach View Post
    A few years ago after the death of my grandfather, the famous lens designer and astronomer James Baker, I was given his old Graflex camera and a bunch of accessories that were in the case. So I have a bunch of old holders that I assume are obsolete but I thought I would ask if they would be of any conceivable use before I toss them.

1) Three Graflex 4x5 Graphic Press Plate Holders. I don't know how old these are but they look brand new and appear to be made of wood and metal. The price is still on the box...$7.15!

2) Graphic Film Pack Adapter (Cat. No. 1234)

3) Polaroid Land Film Holder #500

4) Polaroid Land Camera Back, Series One Hundred Film Pack Adapter

5) Two Polaroid 545 Land Film Holders. Strangely, the instructions on the back of the holders are in english on one and german on the other.
    I will use (haven't tried yet, but must be ok) my not-so-long-ago acquired (kodak) film pack adapter for contact printing. It seems to be good for it...

Tim Layton is looking for dry plate holder, he might be interested of your Graphic Press Plate Holders.

Polaroid film is gone, and so is the need for the holders. The #500 was made obsolete by the #545 in the 1970s.
    Film pack has been gone for almost 20 years, and the #1234 FPAs have no other use. It's a tin box, and I can't see how the previous poster can use one for contact printing (perhaps his is a different device).
    Someone may have a use for the glass plate holders; some people are coating their own dry plates, and some are using the wet-plate process as well.

More specifically, single-sheet Polaroid film is gone, which is the type of film used with the 500 and 545 holders. The 545 will still operate Fuji Quickloads, I seem to recall. Those are gone too, but for some old stock. Fuji makes instant film, but in packs that won't fit in any of these holders.

Rick "whose 545 is now a doorstop" Denney

Got One...

...and THIS one should have MASS appeal on this board filled with cheap asses and diy-fixitmyselfcauseimsmart people:

check it out...it allows you to use something useless/free (cheapass gold star) to be an even cheaper ass---get EVERY last bit out of that tube of toothpaste!

So aside from a toothpaste dispenser everything is trash but the plate holders. That's about what I thought. That's all fine because I was really only hoping that the plate holders could be put to some use by someone because they are vintage and in mint condition. They are really quite attractive, much nicer looking than the plastic sheet holders I use every day. I doubt they were used even once.

Any ballpark idea what the plate holders could be worth? $1.00, $10.00, $100.00?

Use 'em as funky frames for contact prints.

I like the way you think!

Quote Originally Posted by keith schreiber View Post
    Use 'em as funky frames for contact prints.

I have a film pack with Tri-X from the 60s I think with some film holders of sizes I do not have cameras for as a bit of a display. Still have some Type 55 film that I friend wants to shoot so the 545 will be used and then wait until some thing comes that will go in them or as a doorstop along with the Sad irons that we already use.

Re: Got One...

Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    ...and THIS one should have MASS appeal on this board filled with cheap asses and diy-fixitmyselfcauseimsmart people:

check it out...it allows you to use something useless/free (cheapass gold star) to be an even cheaper ass---get EVERY last bit out of that tube of toothpaste!
    Most Excellent use of equipment -- I will press mine back into service immediately.