Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Italy in the Fall

Italy in the Fall

Hey folks, I'm taking my bride to Italy for the first two weeks in October...It's our twentieth anniversary. She said I could take a camera…she didn’t say which one. So, where in all of Italy is the best promise of Fall color? Thanks!!!

Re: Italy in the Fall

North of Rome I would expect. I lived in Central Italy near Naples for 10 years and never really seen fall color change. Wrong kind of trees. It gets wet in the fall and winter. Check this site out, it has some good info. http://goitaly.about.com/od/whentogo...tumn_italy.htm
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

I don't know what the fall color is like, but the Piemonte region (Alessandria, Casale, etc.) is very pretty. Small villages perched on top of hills, with farms in the valleys. Makes for nice landscapes. Many deciduous trees in the area, but don't know what type of color displays to expect. This region is almost exactly between Milano and Torino, and to the south towards Genoa. About 1hr plus or minus from Malpensa.

Rick, What a fantastic idea. Northern Italy is the place to be. I'm mountain climbing guide and have been along the Swiss/Austrian/French/Italian border quite a bit. It's beautiful country, great people and fantastic food. Here's a link to some photos of the area
    http://panoramic-landscape-photograp...ige/index.html

Hi Rick, I know the Dolmites mountains, the Dolomites are about 2 hours from Venice.

M

Tuscany is great in the fall.

Get in touch if you come by and need some info.
    Siena-Florence region is my territory.

Ciao,
    Mat

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Floyd View Post
    Hey folks, I'm taking my bride to Italy for the first two weeks in October...It's our twentieth anniversary. She said I could take a camera…she didn’t say which one. So, where in all of Italy is the best promise of Fall color? Thanks!!!
    Unfortunately, you're going there in the wrong time. The best Fall colors in Italy you can see in Venice, during October rains - the unforgettable, undefinable colors only Venice knows to show... But then, they're probably not those you're after...
    Last edited by GPS; 25-Sep-2011 at 12:10.

Thank you to all for the great posts. We leave Thursday and return mid October. I knew I could count on you folks, thank you so much.

Tuscany any time of year. Get away from Firenze and into the hills. be sure to visit several of the hilltop towns with their towers as well as looking for color.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Floyd View Post

I'm from Italy and I can suggest place were people here alredy told you,
    Tuscany is a well know place to start.
    but if you want to see some pictures I did during the past years have a look at the site on the signature.