Thread: Visiting Grand Teton National Park in the Winter

Visiting Grand Teton National Park in the Winter

Hello,

I am thinking about visiting Grand Teton National Park this winter. I would probably go toward the end of December.

I was wondering if anybody has any advice to lend on what it is like traveling in that part of Wyoming during the end of December. I will be driving from Flagstaff, AZ in an old Ford Ranger 2WD pick up truck. Would that vehicle make it? I will be staying in a hotel in Jackson.

And what can I expect as far as weather and photographic opportunities. I will be shooting with a view camera and sheet film, are there any precautions that I would need to take regarding my equipment and film?

And of coarse where are good places to go in the park to photograph?

Thank you all in advance!

Re: Visiting Grand Teton National Park in the Winter

First, if you are comfortable driving your truck in a snowstorm in Flagstaff and along the 40 you will do alright in Jackson. Think snow tires and extra sand bags in the back for traction. Don't forget the shovel and the jumper cables. With your equipment be careful of the cold. Do not bring your gear inside a hot, humid hotel room and then take it out into the freezing air. Leave the camera gear and lenses in the truck. Most of the park will be closed and the roads not plowed. Plan to shoot along the main road north out of town. Hike a little to get to overviews of the Snake River. This will give you views of the grand teton and Mt. Moran, etc. Go to the ski area and take the tram up to the top. Shoot from there. There will be good views and a place for hot soup when you get cold.
    Ric
    Ric Raymond
    Blue Heron Images

Re: Visiting Grand Teton National Park in the Winter

Jackson WYO December 29, 2010: 28 degrees for a high and 12 degrees for a low, winds 14 mph with snow. Don't know about the road conditions, but assume some might require 4WD and/or snow tires. Happy shooting.