Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best developer for 400 TMAX

moltogordo

Re: Best developer for 400 TMAX

Quote Originally Posted by MIke Sherck View Post
    I'll be the odd guy out and say that I like it in straight D76. FRESH D76, mind you! Tmax films don't like D76 which has sat around and oxidized for a while, even a few days.

I mix D76 a gallon at a time, then decant into four 1 quart containers, filled to the brim and tightly capped. It'll keep for months that way.

Mike
    I think I'll try this, Mike. I've used D76 1:1, but think it's a bit flat. I've also used Rodinal, which is an aquired taste but certainly snappy, with better graduation than HC110.

The advantage of D76 is if a place carries developer, D76 will be there. And it's a good soup.

If d76 1+1 is "flat", then you might try developing a bit longer.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

moltogordo

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    If d76 1+1 is "flat", then you might try developing a bit longer.
    I actually think the problem is that up until my recent film renaissace, I was using tapwater. I'll use distilled now, like I should have in the first place. I haven't tried the 1+1 D76 combo in distilled. Our tapwater is hard, and probably has stuff in it that buffers development. Now that I'm back into film, I'll do it right. From a taste standpoint, our tapwater is much worse now than when I was doing film 7 or 8 years ago.

I'll try a test neg with distilled and give it an extra 10%. Thanks!

I am very fond of Pyrocat HD with TMax 400. The staining/tanning effect of the developer really hides the already minimal grain. And the sharpness is superb.

T-Max RS for me.

I think the best developer for 400 T-Max is Ilford's DDX. Really great film curves and the best film speed with the DDX. You can see some of the curves in the video on pre-soak vs no presoak on youtube.com:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WM2ldlD-L8

Fred Newman

Drew Wiley

76 has the peculiar characteristic of behaving somewhat differently immediately mixed versus when it has reached equilibrium a few days later (up to a month or
    so afterwards tightly sealed). This is true even 1:1, so you have to standardize upon
    one technique or the other. Distilled water helps with a different set of variables if
    your tap water itself varies from time to time or contains excessive added whatever.
    76 will certainly work decently, but is not on my personal A list for TMY.

picked up from one of the guys over at APUG....xtol 1+2 with one minute presoak; developed for 11:15 tray or tank (as in 120);use at 68 degrees please!! this makes for
    beautiful negatives....I have even used this method for making alternate process negs;just increased time by about 40%
    have a great day everyone...happy developing!
    Peter

retrogrouchy

Agree with XTOL for the fine grain... but this is TMY2 in LF we're talking about and grain shouldn't really be an issue. Therefore I prefer the Rodinal tonality; it's a bit stark but very sharp and snappy with good highlight separation.

I always liked T-Max developers for T-Max film, that way the film kept its published speed, with D-76 I had to use ISO 100 or 200 or get too much contrast, never used Pyro.
    One question, I lost my digital camera to a kayaking accident, and have an excuse now to resurrect my 4x5s. But I don't have a place in my house for film developing. Is there a dependable b&w processing lab in the US I could use, my local lab just closed down. I am in Vermont/New Hampshire area. If I have to buy film at B&H I may as well ship out the processing.

Tom