Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you had a choice and why?

If you had a choice and why?

If you had a choice between an Ektar 203 7.7 and a commercial Ektar 8 1/2" 6.3 which one would you choose and why? Both are very close in focal length.

Do they handle the same subjects equally as well or does one have advantages over the other. I appreciate the size difference but that is not an issue for me.

Interested to hear comments.

Re: If you had a choice and why?

the 203/7.7 will fit and close up into a SpeedGraphic, the 8.5"/6.3 CE will but JUST barely, not comfortable with that.

the 203/7.7 should be better closer than 3 ft, the 8.5"/6.3 CE should be better for general use to inf.

The performance difference is too small to gauge. There would be a larger sample by sample difference than model by model.

I used an 8-1/2"/6.3 Commercial Ektar on the job for some years. A fine lens on 4x5. Much later I bought a 203/7.7 Ektar from this forum for personal use. Another fine lens; I regret selling it. Both lenses are among the best of their time, that is 1940s-60s. Contrast with either will not be up to modern multicoated lenses, but you probably know that already. Resolution is enough for all but the most critical applications.
    I'd say you can't go wrong either way, assuming the lens is in top condition.

Hi Steve.

This is so obvious. A 203 f7.7 has sex appeal, and an 8 1/2" f6.3 Ektar..........is boring.

Thanks guys. I'm interested to hear the 203 is not as good for general work but better at close up work. Was the lens not originally designed as an infinity use lens?

Sexy Jim must be coming up to winter where you are. They are a nice tiny lens.
    I've ended up with both in near mint condition but was curious if others had preferences for one or the other. Actually Jim I think the #3 Ilex looks pretty "sexy" on the front of a 5x4 Korona.

Any other comments would be appreciated.

5X4 Steve? What's that? Actually I'm having a love affair with a Wolly 1a 222mm just now, in a rakish Alphax shutter.
    Last edited by Jim Galli; 27-Sep-2011 at 20:03. Reason: whew, that was close. hope no one caught that

Is that the protar style convertible? If so I've often wondered about them. Any images your have shot with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nicholls View Post
    Is that the protar style convertible? If so I've often wondered about them. Any images your have shot with it?
    Yes. 5th image on this page was done with that lens.

jim out.

I've never used the 8.5"/6.3 CE, but a 203mm f/7.7 has been my favorite lens on 5x7 and 4x5 for 35 years for the reasons Paul mentioned.

The cheapest one in the best operating shutter (unless I want a chick magnet, then its gotta be the 203 )
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White