Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Favourite Loupe

Drew Wiley

Re: My Favourite Loupe

I'm assuming you mean a GG loupe rather than something for viewing on the lightbox.
    I like the Horseman 7x, though Peak is probably the actual manufacturer. It's reasonably small but still fairly tough if it gets dropped. Has quality optics, but is not
    so expensive that one will freak if its dropped too far. As a backup emergency loupe
    I have an absolutely tiny little Emo 10X. This came with an adapter so you can switch
    around the optics and use it as a miniature telescope too.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    $8 is hard to beat, but I would want a neck cord too. Hard to argue that a neck cord is a feature worth $50 but I would buy a Wista loupe if I needed another one because it is a small loupe, currently available, good quality, and has a cord.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ing_Loupe.html
    I'll sell you a lanyard & some rubber bands for $20, and btw, free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by LF4Fun View Post
    I'll sell you a lanyard & some rubber bands for $20, and btw, free shipping.
    Good point.

Better make it $30 and through in one of those $5 loupes and a lottery ticket.

The Toyo came with my first view camera, but I quickly sold it.

Then I bought a Mamiya 5x, a beautifully made loupe. All metal, silky smooth diopter adjustment, but I feel it's better suited for table top use as I was always afraid the metal would crack the gg on a cold day. (I'm going to post it for sale.)

I now use a Calumet 4x aspheric loupe for everything. It's light and has a plastic barrel and rubber eye cup.

Ever since I switched to 8x10, I seldom use a loupe for 3D objects, only planar subjects.

I'm quite fond of my Silvestri 4x loupe for both my Cambo 4x5 and 8x10. I've tried other loupes over the years, and while there are many good ones, for some reason I keep coming back to the Silvestri. I was actually thinking about trying a more powerful loupe and seeing if that works for me.

Cheers,
    Jay

My favorite loupe is the one that came with my Calumet 4x5 kit in 1982. I still use it and still have the handsome leather case it came in.

Just recieved two of the 5x loupes from B&H. Black taped one for GG. The other will be for viewing negatives. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by WmRenick View Post
    Just recieved two of the 5x loupes from B&H. Black taped one for GG. The other will be for viewing negatives. Thanks for the tip.
    Enjoy them!

When using my Wista under the hood, I have to hold the loupe a centimeter or so away from the GG to achieve focus. No amount of adjustment will get the focus to the point where I can hold the loupe against the GG, is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by John Rodriguez View Post
    When using my Wista under the hood, I have to hold the loupe a centimeter or so away from the GG to achieve focus. No amount of adjustment will get the focus to the point where I can hold the loupe against the GG, is this normal?
    I don't think that's normal.
    What kind of loupe is it?