Thread: Resolution Difference Rodenstock 120 Makro/Schneider 120 Makr0

Resolution Difference Rodenstock 120 Makro/Schneider 120 Makr0

In respect to the current 120 Macro offerings from Rodenstock and Schneider, the specs notwithstanding, I am curious about opinions regarding resolution and app ropriatenes for use in the macrophotography of flowers. I'm using a 4X5 and will probably try the selected lens on a 6X9.

Resolution Difference Rodenstock 120 Makro/Schneider 120 Makr0

Rolf: you say nothwistanding...Well in the design of these lenses their maker endeavors to achieve certain technical specs. Those specs are to the manufacturer a measure of achievement and for the user a more reliable guide than user tests often conducted under conditions that lack even the minimum technical rigor for any decent lab. Learning to read those specs spares you from hear say, mythmaking and often conflicting opinions. You may 'hear' differently from this web site but of the many Zeiss, Schneider and Rodenstock lenses I have owned I have yet to find a lens whose performance was disappointing. Taking the time to study that stuff has for me been a very worthwhile, money-saving and liberating effort. As for the lenses you mention, the performance of the Schneider lenses at close distances, i.e. 1:1, 1:5 and 1:10 is published. Similarly for Rodenstock if my memory serves me right. Both companies make outstanding lenses and the difference between them is not worth worrying about. Good luck!