Thread: Schneider Super-Angulon XL 5.6 90mm.

Schneider Super-Angulon XL 5.6 90mm.

This post is intended to answer my own question of a few weeks ago. I asked if a Schneider Super-Angulon XL 5.6 90mm would, because of its huge rear element, fi t on a Technikardan. Bob Solomon said it would not.

It fits fine. The only catch is there is a ring, (the Linsenchutzring, or lens g uard ring) on the rear element over which the rear cap fits. To fit through the hole on the front standard of the Technikardan this ring needs to be screwed off . So I leave the rear cap in place on this ring and screw off the ring and cap t ogether. The net difference is that I need to screw off the rear cap rather than pull it off. A small price to pay for an very large image circle (259mm) on a 9 0mm lens. If I ever see a concave rear cap that won't touch the rear glass then even that step would be eliminated.
    John Hennessy

I have a Super Angulon 90XL. I tried to remove the ring as you mentioned but all I can do is remove the entire rear section of the lens. How do you get it off? thanks

Schneider, who in their infinite wisdom made the rear section of the 90mm XL a millimetre or two too large to fit one of the most widely used large format camera systems (Technika, Technikarday and anyone using the Technika boards with adapter panels on other cameras) finally saw the error of their ways and revised the rear section of the lens.

Earlier examples don't have the removable ring, newer ones do. Certainly a point of relevance for second hand units.

Walter Glover

I'd be willing to bet that Steve Grimes could make that concave cap for you.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.