Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: C-41 at home

Re: C-41 at home

Quote Originally Posted by KnightHawk View Post
    Nov., 2011

Anyone have a line on a local (to the Greater Toronto Area) C-41 film chemistry supplier for small, table-top rotary drum developing systems? I'd like to work with a local/regional supplier (in Canada) if possible--rather than bring chemistry across the border. Cheers and thanks!
    I don't know of anything in Canada, but please let me know.
    It's tough to beat the Tetenal kit from B&H at only $20, but if you factor in shipping and customs, the price goes up.
    One package costs $33,74 all inclusive to Canada, while two packages cost $57,69.

If you find anything better, I'd love to hear about it.

I use the stainless steel tank for 120
    I regret giving away the Patterson tanks when I closed my studio but once you rinse the first spill it stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro Elena View Post
    I use the stainless steel tank for 120
    I regret giving away the Patterson tanks when I closed my studio but once you rinse the first spill it stops.
    I have tanks that I bought almost 20 years ago, so the lids don't fit perfectly, and some of the tanks are deformed.
    I use gaffer's tape around the lid, but it doesn't stop colour chemicals from getting through, rendering the tape useless.

Just wondering about push development; has anyone tried it?
    The data sheet for Tetenal states that for 2-stop underexposure, to increase development time by a factor of 1.5
    I'd like to try Ektar 100 pushed to 800 ISO.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ari I have used Tetenal for years .. i would not try 800 with EKTAR ... Fuji 400 with 2.5 extra minutes in developer should get you there. 86 degrees is the temp i use.... Just lately i have found that my local CVS store instant lab does 120 film... yea they use a cart designed for the Noritsu. They put a leader on the film and run with the 35mm. It helps to have a operator that is a photo enthusiast running the processor. they charge me 2 bucks and do a great job.... he will even slow the machine if i want to push to 800.

anyway Tetenal Jobo and a beseler roller base works for me.

http://www.mikepic.com

Quote Originally Posted by photobymike View Post
    Ari I have used Tetenal for years .. i would not try 800 with EKTAR ... Fuji 400 with 2.5 extra minutes in developer should get you there. 86 degrees is the temp i use.... Just lately i have found that my local CVS store instant lab does 120 film... yea they use a cart designed for the Noritsu. They put a leader on the film and run with the 35mm. It helps to have a operator that is a photo enthusiast running the processor. they charge me 2 bucks and do a great job.... he will even slow the machine if i want to push to 800.

anyway Tetenal Jobo and a beseler roller base works for me.

http://www.mikepic.com
    Thanks, Mike; I did just that, I bought some Fuji 400, and it should arrive next week.

Well it's been four months since the first batch of Tetenal C-41. I've ran about 18-24 rolls of 120 and the last 3 120 and 4 4x5 came out completely ruined. I saw the CD was pretty dark but went ahead and gave it a go anyway. The new freshly made batch came out excelent and much easier to scan. The 3 rolls previous to the ruined ones were very clear but I blamed it on a faulty shutter.
    I won't wait this long next time. The 4 4x5 were work

Sorry to hear that, Ramiro.
    I've found the limit with one batch of Tetenal chemicals is about 50 sheets, 60 if done within a reasonable amount of time.
    But I used to go two or three weeks without processing, and the chemicals would just sit there and exhaust themselves slowly.
    Nowadays, I'm in no hurry to process, so I'm saving my exposed film until I have about 60 sheets; then I'll process everything in the span of a day or so.

I probably let the chemicals sit for too long Ari. I better shoot fast because I don't have anything now to process :S