Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: C-41 at home

Re: C-41 at home

Having just completed my first C-41 processing at home, I've hung up my film to dry.
    While I'm a poor judge of colour negs, they do look good.
    They are also the first shots taken with a brand-new (to me) Technikardan, so the anticipation is doubled.
    Mixing was no problem, though the Blix is quite foul-smelling and gave me a bad headache; it also dripped from the bottle as I poured it into the tank and made a mess.
    Other than that, things went smoothly, and I'll post some scans later.

OP here, I just wanted to follow up on some results.
    Processing was easy, just follow the steps.
    It was my first time, so naturally I screwed up a couple of things.
    I didn't fill the whole drum with water for the pre-soak, and this left some streaking.
    My time was inaccurate: I wanted to set 3:30 for the developer, and instead set the timer to 0:0:33.0. I managed to compensate, but it wasn't ideal.
    And I spent too many extra seconds between steps pouring out and pouring in solutions; I'll have to devise a better way of doing that.
    It's easier in B&W, since the fixer is the only solution that gets put back in its bottle.
    Colours are good, I might have screwed up the adjustment of the second photo, it looks too green to me, although the colour of the stucco was a light green.
    These were taken on the same day, about one hour apart.
    Film is Portra 400, lens is a 90mm, and this was my first time using my new-to-me Technikardan.

Overall, I'm pleased with the results, and will process more today or tomorrow.

PS- Anybody know how to remove and clean the scanner glass on an Epson 4990?

Thanks

Some photos:

Ari, those are nice sharp photos. I am unable to discern the streaking that you mentioned.

As I look at the second photo, I am unable to see a greenish tinge throughout the photo. Looking at the sky, the color looks natural. Observing the purer whites in the clouds, the car, the trim on the building, I do not see any hint of green. I think that the dominance of the building has biased the impression that there is a green tint to the photo. In fact on my monitor, the building is more gray than green.

Nice work.
    al

Thank you, Al.
    The streaks have been cropped out, they were especially visible in the second photo.
    And thank you for a thorough review of the colours I was so bad at reading.
    As for sharp, well, I found that these were my two sharpest; other set-ups were noticeably unsharp.
    I can only hope that this was due to my inexperience with a new camera, and not some mechanical problem with the unit.

I can see that green cast you mention Ari. We're talking computer screens and all so what I am showing here doesn't mean much (or nothing). The light could very well had been like it shows on your image.

Gracias, Ramiro; I thought perhaps that different monitors would not show the green cast, although mine does.
    At least I know that I'm responsible for the green; I introduced it pre-scan in the levels page.
    Ramiro, how is your C-41 developing coming along?
    Have you tried it yet?
    Keep us posted.

Getting correct color balance with the scanner can be tricky, that's why I liked my old Agfa Duoscan.

I am waiting for the right moment. Meaning I don't have a 9 months baby messing around or a wife asking to fix something.
    I also wanted to make sure I can open the 5L kit with the small amount of film I have to process right now. I think I should have gone for the 1L kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro Elena View Post

I am waiting for the right moment. Meaning I don't have a 9 months baby messing around or a wife asking to fix something.
    Trust me; in that situation, there is no right moment.
    You'll have to make the right moment, or be prepared to tiptoe in the dark late at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    OP here..........
    And I spent too many extra seconds between steps pouring out and pouring in solutions; I'll have to devise a better way of doing that.
    It's easier in B&W, since the fixer is the only solution that gets put back in its bottle.......
    Ari,

Great first run.
    If I may offer some advice, get some cheap very wide mouth containers and just pour the soup straight from the Jobo drum into that.
    Do the re-bottling at the end of the run.
    Some extra "stuff" to store, but it really makes it easier.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

i bought a kit from freestyle last year, very easy to do, make sure your temps are pretty much dead on, about 102f i think thats what it is.
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"