Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: C-41 at home

C-41 at home

Hi,
    I'll soon be processing C-41 at home, having just ordered a Tetenal kit from B&H.
    I have no idea what to expect, but it sounds like it'll be straightforward as long as I follow the instructions.
    After a search of the forum, I found that there shouldn't be any problem using the same Jobo tank for B&W and C-41.
    I didn't find out how much film I can process with the Tetenal kit; it makes 1 liter.
    Can I re-use the same chemicals once, twice, or more often?
    It says that one batch will process 12-16 rolls of 35mm film; is that equivalent to 48-64 sheets of 4x5 (I forgot the film conversions)?
    Thanks in advance, and any other information you can supply beforehand is greatly appreciated.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: C-41 at home

Kodak makes a 5 gallon kit for ~$30. You can download all the details on C-41 processing on the Kodak website.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Kodak makes a 5 gallon kit for ~$30. You can download all the details on C-41 processing on the Kodak website.

Thomas
    D-oh!

I mean...yes, but does it keep well after opening?
    Five gallons is a lot, even for my one-man show.

But I'll bite: can you provide a link? The Kodak website is hell to navigate.
    Thanks

I would think that you might be able to squeeze that much out of a liter of chemicals if you did it all in one session, say 12 rolls in three batches of four rolls each, in a stainless steel tank . Aerating the chemicals in a Jobo and then storing them for a week or two before using them again might be asking for trouble.

Peter Gomena

You wouldn't believe how much you can stretch these kits. I develop as much as 24 rolls (or multiplied by 4 = 96 sheets of 4x5) for each liter over a period of as much as a few months. That's rotary in a Patterson too. I make sure that I squeeze out the bottles well and keep them in the fridge between sessions.

24 is the limit I give myself based on reports from others and because I haven't been brave enough to push it further. You don't need to extend the time very much (I add on between 15-30secs in total), but be sure to blix extra long right from the start (10min at first then go to 13-15min). Blix isn't the best thing to use, but doing it longer makes sure you're clearing as much of the silver as it can.

All of this said, I scan exclusively and I don't have the experience or the equipment to be all that discriminating. So all I can say is that everything seems to work out well for me. YMMV.

By the way, since you're local, you'll find the 947ml (or around there) bottles of Mott's Clamato or Garden Cocktail are oddly the perfect size to store 1 liter of chemistry. They have nice wide mouths too, and the different varieties have different coloured caps.

Good luck, it's fun!

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post

Thomas
    Really? Never heard of a kodak c41 kit. $30
    Who sells it? Product code?

Thanks; I've never been a Mott's fan, but I might be one now.
    And I would really like to know the source for this Kodak $30 5-gallon C-41 kit.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Thanks; I've never been a Mott's fan, but I might be one now.
    And I would really like to know the source for this Kodak $30 5-gallon C-41 kit.
    Thanks
    Methinks he's has it confused with the replenishment kit.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    Methinks he's has it confused with the replenishment kit.
    Aye, or stuck in 1981.

Seeing that the last purchase of 2.7 liters of Kodak C-41 Bleach cost me $47, thirty dollars for the whole 5 liter kit sounds very cheap.

I have been researching other alternatives for my C-41 and RA-4 chemicals and have been trying the ones recommended by Denver Pro Photo that are produced under the label of CPAC. They use these chemicals in their processing lab and I have been pleased with the results I am getting. See my earlier post:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...highlight=cpac
    al