Thread: 8x10 Shooters in San Francisco Bay Area?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

8x10 Shooters in San Francisco Bay Area?

A few years ago I ran into the then director of the Harvey Milk Photo Center in San Francisco who told me that their facility had an 8x10 enlarger. Since I didn't then own an 8x10 camera and had a 4x5 darkroom at home, I never visited their facility but filed that tidbit away. But a few months ago I purchased an 8x10 camera and being in the neighborhood yesterday decided to stop by to see the set-up.

The director that I had met, Clarence, had since retired and although they have 40 enlarger station (35mm to 4x5), there wasn't an 8x10 enlarger. One of their employees did recall an 8x10 enlarger and the new Director and instructor that I was speaking with thought that it might be in storage. When I was speaking with Clarence I vaguely remember him telling me that the facility was closed at the time for construction - perhaps they were in the process of building the current facility which looks new. Anyway, they theorized yesterday that it might be in storage due to non-use. I recall another local public photo center getting rid of its 8x10 enlarger because of non-use.

Anyway, the wet facilities are huge with plenty of room to set-up large trays and even have a set of 32x40 trays because some members do mural size prints. They have no objection to setting-up for large prints and have ample room. You would need to provide only the negative and paper - they supply all the necessary B&W chemistry.

I was thinking that if there are enough 8x10 shooters in the area that could use such a facility then that might motivate them to bringing the enlarger from storage or, if they had gotten rid of it, then maybe we could come up with a "donation." After all, 8x10 enlargers are going for peanuts these days.

Just food for thought.

Thomas

Re: 8x10 Shooters in San Francisco Bay Area?

The last I knew Rayko in San Francisco had 2 enlargers that supported 8x10" negatives, one setup for color and one setup for B&W. They were also setup for mural prints for both (big trays or troughs for B&W and a 51" processor for color.) I have never used these enlargers or printed really big but would be another option to check out.

-Darren

Hi Thomas. I was going to suggest calling Rayko before I saw Darren's reply. I shoot 8x10 but don't enlarge.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Thank you Darren and Tony Although I have used rayko's facilities in the past, I never knew that they had 8x10 enlargers. I'm going to check them out!

Thomas

I don't (optically) enlarge 8x10 myself, but I wanted to add a nod for the new-ish revamped Harvey Milk Photo Center. I took an alt-process class there earlier this year, and was impressed by the facilities (both wet and digital) and the friendly atmosphere there.

Have taken classes at Rayko as well. Very glad to have these facilities available to us.