Thread: LF photographers who shoot architecture or copywork

LF photographers who shoot architecture or copywork

Hello,

I'm trying to see if I can find any photographers who shoot large format for architecture or copywork. I'd like to see if I could learn about the process (camera techniques aside) and a little bit about pricing. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

bdkphoto

Re: LF photographers who shoot architecture or copywork

Professional architectural photography is digital these days (I can't think of anyone shooting film commercially) and I'm not sure what you mean by process - getting work, production process, marketing? Pricing can vary dramatically by market, job, client, experience and end usage.

There's some great basic info at www.asmp.org on business practices and specifics to architectural photography too.

Use the search function on this forum. The is a massive amont of discussion through the years about architecture photography. But, yes, pro work seems to be digital for AP from everyone who posts here and is a pro, such as our main moderator.

well, Hisao Suzuki still shoots film:
    http://www.nuaa.es/eng/index.htm
    ... and he is certainly a leading figure - the man exclusively behind ALL work for El Croquis.

Quote Originally Posted by bdkphoto View Post
    Professional architectural photography is digital these days (I can't think of anyone shooting film commercially) and I'm not sure what you mean by process - getting work, production process, marketing? Pricing can vary dramatically by market, job, client, experience and end usage.

There's some great basic info at www.asmp.org on business practices and specifics to architectural photography too.
    I have a very good customer who is a professional architectural photographer shooting exclusively 5x4". Bulk of his work comes from blue chip companies in the UK and the government, but also smaller contracts with smaller clients, architects etc.

Shoots everything on Fuji 160NS 5x4. When shooting in prisions he duplicates the shot with a digital slr so the authorites can see what image has been taken for security purposes.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

There's a lot of professional "still" shooting film. Within the past year there was a National Geographic program on TV about the photography of one of its top photographers and, guess what, he's still shooting 35mm chromes on a Nikon F5 I believe. He said he shoots 8 to 10,000 slides per assignment.

Thomas

What do you mean by "copywork"? (Not sure.)

Probably lots get pitched. They bracket a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    There's a lot of professional "still" shooting film. Within the past year there was a National Geographic program on TV about the photography of one of its top photographers and, guess what, he's still shooting 35mm chromes on a Nikon F5 I believe. He said he shoots 8 to 10,000 slides per assignment.

Thomas
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Means copy work of art, unless its huge and needs to be a huge print I would do digital with a DSLR.

Anything for on the web or just to send to galleries if its done on film will detract from the bottom line. Pricing should be as high as the client is willing to pay, if your good you keep getting work. If not people won't come back. Pretty simple.

For Flat art $45 per copied piece is good. If you can shoot ten in an hour 200.00 is fair to you and them if you can burn it to a disk and get paid the same day.

I would not touch a film repro for less than 45.00 plus the time scanning. 3D work is more involved requires lighting, and knowledge of how to augement the piece with the lighting. Being able to do that the sky is probably the limit if you have a willing classy client that likes your ability. All this also depends on how committed one is to this specific aspect of photowork, wether you want to push getting the work..like every thing else noone will break down your doors unless you push to get the work.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    What do you mean by "copywork"? (Not sure.)
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Notice the original poster has disappeared.......
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"