Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripod restrictions at Machu Picchu?

Tripod restrictions at Machu Picchu?

Well, I can access the forum for a minute, so I guess I'll ask my question: doe s anyone know if there are restrictions on using a tripod, or "professional-look ing" camera at Machu Picchu in Peru? I recently brought my 12X20 to Uluru (Ayer' s Rock) in Australia, and was relentlessly hassled by park rangers every minute that I spent there. I'd like to avoid a similar fate at Machu Picchu next week: is there a permit that I can get, fee/bribe I can pay?

Thanks for any help you can offer, if in fact this forum still exists!

Nathan

Nathan, I was at Machu Picchu years ago, and I don't know if this helps, but even if you should need a permit for a tripod, be prepared to offer a bribe! The Secret Police at the Cusco airport kidnapped a british doctor who was part of the group I was travelling with. This happened while we were waiting to board. He simply dissappeared. Since we were a fairly large group of Yanks and Brits and we all refused to board until our missing comrade was found, the airline people started a search of the terminal and found him tied and gagged in a janitors closet. One of the officials pressed into service by the airline was identified by the shaken doctor and he(the official, a member of the secret police) fled the terminal with two accomplices. To put this into perspective, this happened nearly ten years ago. Personally, I'd go back to Peru in a heartbeat. Cusco incidentally, is a lovely city. Just beware that there are still banditos and some of them work for the government(Hey! That sounds like where I live now!) Sounds like you'll have a great trip, just take care.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I can't help you with an answer. Sorry! However, hauling a 12x20 up to machu picchu I think may be a greater burden than anything else, but I am envious of the opportunity to try! I hope you succeed! btw, where are you located when not traveling? I'd love to see the results!

I think John's experiences date to the last days of real activity on the part of the 'shining path' who, by the mid '90's were totally toothless. By that same period government had stabilized a great deal, although there is some unrest these days again.

I have traveled to Cuzco and Machu Picchu several times over the past 15 years and have had no trouble at all for the past 7-9 years. As to your specific question, I know of no regulations that would get in the way of your using whatever equipment you wanted on a non professional basis. I have had a 4x5 and tripod with me in teh ruins several times.

Equally, if ont more importantly is making srue that you are prepared to haul whatever equipment you choose. The question is one of altitude and being sure you are prepared for the altitude. Whatever you do I strongly recommend that, unless you are an experienced hiker and in great shape, you strongly consider taking the train to the ruins rather than walking.

Enjoy

Re: Tripod restrictions at Machu Picchu?

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to share something very unpleasant that happened to me last week at Machu Picchu's entrance:

1. They charge you 300 USd for bringing your tripod into their Inca city. Their argument is that tripods are for professionals only. this is not specified ANYWHERE, not even in the INC' Web ( gov. body responsable for MP)

2. There is a lens debate: ANY lens over 200mm is considered professional, and thus must also pay the 300 Usd.

THEREFORE I took my Sony A900 with its 50mm 1.4 and but to leave my Manfrotto in the entry. On the other hand, my travel parther travelling with an A200 (!!!!!!!) with the Kit 18-250mm HAD TO PAY the 300 Usd to take his camera to Machu Picchu, given that was his only lens and it had a focal lenght over 200 mm ( and that.... was supposed to be professional).

This is a warning to all photo travellers to reconsider Peru as a destination, given that tourists are considered as "bags of bucks" by the locals. I loved their scenery, but the trip had too many "little" negative points, which added altogether makes one reconsider such a spending during these times of crisis...

I had no problems in 2004. And felt completely safe. Try to be at Macchu Picchu after the last train for cusco. A lot less people milling about with guides. That means staying in Aquas Calinete (may not have the correct spelling here) or at the camp site directly below the main road way to the site. If you have not been there before I would recommend a plastic rain cover for your gear as rain on overcast days comes and goes in a heart beat. A real treat watching cloud over take you and not feeling a breeze. I had no problems with tripods or cameras in the park. Nor did I understand there needed to be have a special permit.
    Respectfully,

Peter.

I was at Machu Picchu in November 2007 and I was never confronted about my tripod and 35mm camera setup. A large-format camera might be an entirely different matter, and "rules" in Peru can change on a weekly basis.

I am shocked to hear about the $300 USD charge to bring a tripod and large-lens camera into the site for "professional" purposes. Can anybody else confirm a similar experience during a visit in the last year or so?

In any case, I will probably return to Machu Picchu this year and I'll be prepared to offer a small bribe to any park officials who give me trouble... not $300 USD, but maybe 50-100 Nuevo Sol (about $15-30 USD). Is it sketchy and "corrupt"? Yes, in a way, but it's South America and that's how it works sometimes. During my 5 months travel on the continent in 2007, I was never forced to offer a bribe for anything, photography or otherwise, although there were some instances where I believe (in retrospect) that it would have solved an issue MUCH faster.

In any case, when it comes to photography at a place like Machu Picchu, I'll offer a bribe if necessary, to prompt the officials to look the other direction. There are not many other places in Peru where you'll see something so amazing, nor in the rest of the world... I think that's worth $30, personally!

It seems not many people had troble at all!!!
    Unfortunatelly for me I was travelling alone. Nevertheless I'd never payed 300 bucks to the guard. See my official post in dpreview:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=31343004

I'm actually uploading on youtube the video my bride shot while this was happening...

Photography with a tripod at archaeological sites in Mexico is virtually impossible. To use a tripod you must have have special permission from INAH (Instituto Nacional de Antropologia e Historia). The permission is very difficult to get, and can only be obtained by petition to INAH in D.F.

This is also true at a number of churches and ex-conventos that are maintained by INAH throughout Mexico.

The thinking by INAH is that anyone using a tripod is taking photographs with the intent to sell them and make a profit. Whether or not this is true is irrelevant.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by ecolodger View Post
    It seems not many people had troble at all!!!
    Unfortunatelly for me I was travelling alone. Nevertheless I'd never payed 300 bucks to the guard. See my official post in dpreview:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=31343004

I'm actually uploading on youtube the video my bride shot while this was happening...

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    The thinking by INAH is that anyone using a tripod is taking photographs with the intent to sell them and make a profit. Whether or not this is true is irrelevant.

Sandy King

Sad but true... and I'm noticing a trend here. When I lived in Japan for a few years and traveled around taking photos everywhere, I noticed that *photography* was almost always welcome. But *tripods* were never welcome inside temples, temple grounds, etc. (out in nature they don't have much authority so I was never hassled). I could basically take photos of anything within reason, but use of a tripod would sometimes attract a polite but firm guard who told me to put it away.

I never determined the cause for this. Perhaps, as you say, they consider the use of a tripod as an intention to make money from the photo. Perhaps they feel that if you set up a large and bulky tripod, it could interfere with other visitors seeing the site. In any case, as you say, the reason is totally irrelevant. It just IS, and despite my claim that I'd offer a bribe to circumvent it, even that wouldn't work in places where bribes are pointless, i.e. Japan.

I don't want to imply that I have been confronted *often* with a tripod, just that it was always in regard to the tripod. I solved the problem sometimes by resting my camera on a fence/rock/etc., taking a deep breath, and crossing my fingers hoping for a sharp vibration-free image. Usually it worked.