Thread: Wild Mustangs east of the Sierra Nevada

Len - www.lenbruffett.com

Wild Mustangs east of the Sierra Nevada

On a recent trip to death valley and the eastern sierra a local gave me the general location of a 230+ herd of mustangs near the California / Nevada border. These animals are skittish to say the least - they let me walk among them- but after they got use to me, a few walked right up to me. I was using my linhof and a 150mm. On a second trip to find them over this last weekend I photographed them again . They wouldn't come near me this time - it may have been the time of day or the changing weather, but I still got some nice images. I also put together a 5 minute video from my first trip to visit them - here is the url:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuPR1lgiQ3k

There are a couple images that show a small group of young stallions - they were my centurions - they moved when I moved and were always watching my every move - the herd has a very interesting and complex structure. There are families of horses tending their young horses - and groups of young males banding together. I even saw 4 horses tending a nursery of 8 young horses.

Dominik

Re: Wild Mustangs east of the Sierra Nevada

Love the first and fourth picture. The first has a very cinematic feel I am almost waiting for the cowboy chasing the horses. The fourth image represents, at least to me, the classic image of the wild west, horses, wide plains and mountains in the distance. Good Work.

These are really great. Heck I'd make a trip for something like this.

Wild Horses--Colorado

There is a wild horse sanctuary as well just outside of the city limits of Grand Junction, (Palisade--the fruit/wine community), Colo which I was exposed to last spring. Short distance from parking area, and short walk into the interior. The herds can be viewed at other times of the year, however, they are farther into the interior. There is a web site if one searches.

Raymond, in the Vail Valley

Thank you for the complements on my images. The mustangs do represent the embodiment of the truely free American spirit - There are no caretakers - vets or whatever for these animals- they are truly on their own. - I may have 4 more worthy images - (these images are just the straight scanned negatives) (sort of a digital contact print) The final prints should look very good with better tonality through the sky and mountain. If I had been using a 35 mm I would have 200+ great images - the mustangs are constantly moving and milling around. A 4x5 with film has its limitations. I missed at least 4 great images with horses that had walked up to me as close as 5 feet - when I slowly moved my hand up to re adjust the focus and get to my cable release - they got spooked - and either walked away from my scene or bloted away in fear.

When I get the images completed I will post them on my web site and post the url to the imaes here on the forum.

To get an idea just how large the herd is check out the video from the link I provided.

It is difficult to determine where this herd will be. They normally are found in the surrounding mounatians to the east. This summer they came down to this valley for the water supply and the grasses. (the valley is at about 7,000 feet in elevation). This year there was an abundance of water that came out of the sierras. the land immediately around this 200 acre green patch is as dry as a bone - the water surfaces in this patch of land - then is just re absorbed into the surrounding soils. When the winter weather closes in they move into the shelter of the mountains, but are constantly moving around. They will run into the hills if they feel threatened by people (like when guys on ATVs or horseback come rolling in at them in an agressive manner).

I am sure the BLM will eventully step in to help control the population - government experts always know best and wield their clout with impunity.

I visited Th Roosevelt Nat'l Park in western N Dakota a couple summers back, they had wild horses and wild bison on hand. It's most impressive to see those beasts in their element. There were about 100 wild horses in the park when I was camping; the rangers told us they planned to collect about 75 of them and sell them in the fall to keep the herd from overgrazing the park.

We have gazillions of them out on the govt range where I work. They have the same manners as the polygamists in Colorado City. That's why the young stallions are driven out to hang together.

Hi Jim,

So you get to work out there with the mustangs all of the time - thats pretty cool. I tried to get your website via the link you provided, but my company IT blocked it - I am assuming you have some images of mustangs -I will look at them this evening from my home computer.

Regards,
    Len

Number 4 is sublime. Lovely shot.
    Christopher J May
    West Chicago, IL