Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kings Canyon NP

Kings Canyon NP

i just returned from a camping trip with the Boy Scouts. We were down at Canyon View in Cedar Grove---the bridge is out so it is a 3 mile hike or drive to get across to the store, which suited me just fine ---
    The weather was perfect, the Kings is still running with gusto--we could hear it all night ---and four deer and five bear were sighted over the weekend at our camp ground, Everyone raved about Zumwalt Meadows and I saw several places I want to revisit with my camera. NO crowds NO traffic---thoroughly enjoyable. Since Kings Canyon is an easy day trip for me I really don't have much reason to camp there(Seqouia NP, otoh with it's slow curvey roads demand more time to explore than there is daylight)
    Any Californians looking for a crowdless autumn refuge to play with a big camera would do well to consider Kings Canyon, IMHO
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Kings Canyon NP

John is just kidding, of course. There is no such place as the so-called "Kings Canyon." Doesn't exist. Don't look for it. There is a place marked on the map as "Kings Canyon" but it is no canyon at all, just a patch of weeds. Forget about it. Boring dumb place.

--Darin

Drew Wiley

Yeah. No such place. I hiked back to Mineral King in the dark Sat and finally heated up some Dinty Moore stew on the tailgate at midnite after not eating all day. Had been on the trail over a week in every kind of weather imaginable (except hot, thankfully). Didn't carry any color film this time, because if I had I wouldn't get in any mileage at all - I would've been stopping to shoot every fifty yards. Tough life watching a young black bear feeding on gooseberries right below a waterfall hundreds of feet high ... or should I have aimed the Ebony at one of the other soaring falls behind me? One day searching for a lost hiker, with a fortunate ending. Yeah, no such place, standing atop several high passes and seeing the entire Sierra crest covered with fresh snow and lightning flashing over the Kaweah peaks. Well, techinically not Kings Canyon but contiguous Sequoia backcountry. Hours on end wading through deep thimbleberries
    more reminiscent of Mt Rainier than anything stereotypically southern Sierra. Every
    campsite all week long was more spectacular than the one before. No easy way in or
    out however - gotta get over those passes in the AM before all hell breaks loose. The
    Mineral King road itself is a piece of cake - I don't know where the reputation for being
    scary comes from. It's a good wide road and almost entirely paved - just gotta watch
    blind corners for idiots driving on wrong side of road. But very little traffic anyway.
    And the rangers up that canyon are really nice. I'll take Sequoia-Kings over Yosemite
    any day.

I always hate when I see an article about KC bragging about how few visitors it has versus the big Y, etc. Keep that up and it won't last. Maybe we could use a code phrase to refer to KC so google searches won't turn it up. If we aren't careful KC will have its own four million tourists a year!

I nominate that KC should, in the future, be referred to as "Malarial Swamp Canyon."

Other nominations?

--Darin

Drew Wiley

In principle I agree, Darin. I won't even mention "exactly" where I was, because it was
    in my opinion way more spectacular than Yos Valley, yet one would have a great deal
    of trouble even finding a reference to the place or picture of it on the web. Kings Can
    is of course not one canyon but a system of the deepest canyons on the continent.
    The road technically enters Cedar Grove, barely into the Park at all. The rest is wilderness with a few main trails, yet significant areas totally untrailed. Mountaineers
    and determined off-trail backpackers already know about many of these places; but
    the terrain is very well self-protected from the casual intruder. I encountered exactly
    zero tourist-types all week. My sister's in-laws came over from Holland, spent a few
    days in the Big Ditch (Yos), fled the crowds, went down to SEKI and truly enjoyed it.
    My boss (who certainly is no hiker type) spent a week at the Sequoia Lodge and
    utterly relaxed. No crowds anywhere. But like I already posted, you can't just mosey
    into some of these places. Where I was involved three high passes, two of them nearly
    12000 ft with grades of almost five thousand feet each.

King's Canyon is the best kept secret in California...ssshhhhh!!!

Drew Wiley

Perhaps we should refer to it as KFC. That should bamboozle the uninitiated.

Dave Karp

Love it there. Even just the tiny portion that is car and day hike accessible is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Perhaps we should refer to it as KFC. That should bamboozle the uninitiated.
    I like it!

--Darin

Scott Davis

If you call it that, you'll have gazillions of Eric Cartman types blocking the entrance with their 5-by-5 figures, looking for Colonel Sanders. They'll re-name the Grant and Sherman redwoods after fast-food restaurants.